Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 03-19-04

MarcO

Things that used to be gross aren't gross anymore. For instance, cooked spinach ALWAYS made me yack as a kid. Not anymore...I love the stuff, especially with garlic!

The most grossest thing I can think of at the momemnt is the time that I swallowed a raw egg , and it was one of the most disgusting feeling when it travelled down the hatch.

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

On a trip to Baffin Island I once ate deep-fried whale blubber.

NYE 1999-2000,I was in Iqaluit and we also had whale blubber (not deep fried though),as well we tried seal.Wasn't the tastiest stuff but I have eaten worse tasting foods.

For me its something I drank... After long hard portage ya tend to get a little tired and lazy... Anyways, with nothing to drink Secondtuber put some juice crystals into a jug and scooped out a fair amount of tasty lake water. As I was chugging back the strange brew I opened my eyes and seen some strange things swiming around in our precious tang. With out saying a word I closed my eyes drank some more and passed the jug to my left.

(sigh) The great outdoors.... [big Grin]

this wasn't me, but it is appropriate... I was the dj at a stag last weekend, and one of the fundraisers was a fear factor table that was set up with a bunch of stuff to eat, we put money in the one we wanted him to eat the most... that happened to be a couple of pig eyeballs, with the eyelashes and everything, now the fella, Reid, is a bit of a nutter, once watched him funnel a mickey of gin...anyways, he did both, almost puked, on the verge, bucket in hand, but he managed to eat it...

ms. hux, that just like mom story is priceless!!!! hahahah, i used to love that show when i was a kid, and always wanted to be on it.

i absolutely love peking duck, some people think that is strange (hey sugarmegs, we gotta go out for that again sometime soon, mmmm, mmmm!)... but probably the weirdest food concoction i've eaten was upon the insistence of a friend of mine -- toast with peanut butter, a touch of bbq sauce & rice krispies on top. no doubt one of those drunken stoner culinary discoveries, but he was true to his word -- it wasn't anywhere near as disgusting as it sounded, in fact it was actually quite good.

My folks used to get those Kraft pizza kits, and we'd make two types- the traditional pepperoni, peppers, muchrooms pizza, but also an Hawaiian pizza, complete with pineapple and ham and whatnot.

I would always get to drink the pineapple juice, loved it everytime. Then one day we were making the pizzas and I ambled over to the glass of pineapple juice, only this time my Dad had put the mushroom juice from the can into the glass instead of the pineapple juice... my dad still laughs at that one.

(Don't ask me why we'd use canned shrooms rather than the fresh kind)

When I lived in Korea, I ate live squid one time. It tasted even worse than dead, cooked squid. Plus, its tentacle sucker-thingies kept grabbing at the inside of your mouth. I mean, wouldn't you do the same if you were being eaten alive? And had tentacles?

I also ate steamed silkworm when I was over there. It was about as bad as it sounds like it would be.

[Eek!][Eek!]

dear god...hamilton, why?

we moved into an older house when i was a kid.

i went downstairs to have breakfast in the morning and poured myself a bowl of rice krispies

and noticed a lot of "burnt" pieces of cereal...i think, no big deal and wolf down a bowl.

fast forward an hour...my dad comes down, pours a bowl of cereal and yells in disgust, "Dammit the mice got into the cupboard again!"

yes, i ate a bowl full of mouse shit.

Ms. Hux - my sister and my mom were on that show "Just Like Mom"! I was in the studio audience while they filmed it. My mom said that eating the "cook off" food was THE most disgusting thing she's ever done.

The host was also a drunk (the original host - pre Fergie Oliver) and was visibly hitting on my mom during the show. We have the whole thing on tape... it's hysterical!!!

The grossest thing I've ever eaten was when I was a little kid. I was in Ireland with my family and my dad convinced my sisters and I to try "a new kind of meat"! "New meat - yay!" we said. It looked pretty funny but we ate it anyway... turned out to be cow tongue. Yuck.

Grossest thing I think I ever ate was in Korea. First night there, first time there, in '92. These two guys were showing me and Jojo around and took us out for a fancy dinner. Got huge boiling bowls of smelly brown water that you added tentacles to yourself. Very gross, we were gagging and apologising, while the hosts turned red in embarrassment. I never got the hang of kimchi either.

In Thailand I ate shark and stingray that we caught. I liked the shark, the ray not so much.

Vietnam: woof.

Also in Vietnam: Shortly after arriving I went to a restaurant with a bunch of people. We had shooters, and I was asked to guess what the shooters were. Without ever eating snake before or knowing that the Vietnamese drink a lot of snake "wine" I could immediately tell that what I was drinking was a very potent shot with snake or snake venom in it. It just tasted like what snakes look like. I loved it and it made for a (series of) very interesting drunks.

In Tiawan I ate a whole bunch of mystery meat wrapped up in different hyper-greasy pastry. You'd bite into a pastry from a shop not knowing if it would be raspberry or pork(?). Weird.

Finally, I was invited to a wedding in Thailand and for the feast they roasted a huge pig. I'm a big lover of ham and a big lover of Thai cooking, so I eagerly awaited my meal. It had gotten dark and as I recieved my enormous slab of roasted ham I turned and came face-to-face with the pigs giant head, sitting on a table staring up at me. Instant Lord Of The Flies flash and a suddenly very odd tasting meal.

There's more, but I got work to do!

What's the grossest or most adventurous thing you've ever eatten or tried to eat?

I'll try pretty much anything, raw fish, seaweed, oysters.... you name it, if it's even slightly different I probably love it, but I can recall two things that I had to eat that made me want to puke.

Remember that show on TV called "Just Like Mom" where the kids would make food and the parents would have to eat it and guess which dish their child made? Well I was playing Just Like Mom in our kitchen one day. My Dad came home from work so pissed off at the amount of mess that I made and the amount of groceries I wasted that he made me eat what I made! It was a gooey ball of flour and condiments, gawd knows what else. NASTY.

My uncle is a wee bit strange and not all there. He loves to hunt and one day he caught a beaver. Well, he heard one time that Beavertails are delicious (those of you from Ottawa will agree that yes, the pastry called Beavertails are yummy for the tummy). Anyway he boiled the snot out of the beavertail which pretty much turned into a soup of slimy, foamy nastiness. I tried to get a spoonful down, but some things were not meant for eatting.

Well, chicken hearts is something that comes to mind. Some people like the guts and organs of the bird so i guess its not too weird. Really, they tasted just fine...not pasty like some of the other organs in there [big Grin]

Umm, this winter i also drank a few good chugs of pickled hot pepper brine. What can I say, the Calgary cold (and rye) does things to a man...what came after is probably best saved for one of the recent puking stories. Damn funny scene though!

As an aside, i have some Vietnamese pork sausage in my fridge, given to me by a friend the other day, that is apparetly supposed to be eaten raw. Its wrapped in pork skin and has chunks of said skin and garlic floating around in the middle. they also have one whole, raw tai pepper wrapped in the middle (HOT!). Even cooked up im not much of a fan.....raw, we'll see!!

while visiting my college roommate, in Banff last year, one nite we decide to go to a sushi restaurant, both being sushi fans...

well, we didnt know what the hell we were doing, and between the 2 of us we came out with a $100 bill, and all we had to drink was water...

i'll say there was A LOT of food there, and A LOT of food i didnt quite "get"...most of it is unpronouncable for me, but for the most part it was quite good....

but, you have to expect that when you blow a hundred bucks on sushi and dont recognize half the shit you're ordering, you're bound to get some bad apples....we did.

When I was up north, myself and a friend went on this fishing trip with the locals. We went to a place called Marble Island, where we, three or four boats, cornered 3 Beluga Whales. After several hours of "the hunt" one of the other boats made the kill. Once everyone had made it to shore, including the now dead whale, the locals gave myself and my friend a quick lesson on how to properly carve a whale. We each cut our own piece from the whale and ate it on the spot.

NOTE: I know that this might seem harsh and uncalled for, however this is the Native's way of life, and we were to consider it fortunate to have had that opportunity.

quote:

Originally posted by shatonewe:

well, at the moment i'm waiting for a
first time
casserole to get out of the oven...

apple, sauerkraut & cheddar

i hope it's not as gross tasting as it is strange sounding!

hmmmm
[Confused]

are you broke or cleaning out your fridge?

I think the nastiest thing so far has got to be the bowl of rice(mouse shit) krispies.

The most vile thing I ever ate (or not, depending on whether or not throwing up within five minutes constitutes eating), was pickled lambs tongue. MmmMmmMmm finger lickin good. Tastes just as good as it sounds.

Archived