Maggie's Farm

Desolation Row (acoustic)

Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)

Million Miles

Positively 4th Street

If You See Her, Say Hello

Standing In The Doorway

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic)

Bye And Bye

Honest With Me

Summer Days

(encore)

Like A Rolling Stone

All Along The Watchtower

-------------------------------------------------

So did Bob end up playing guitar?

From the looks of the setlist,I'm assuming he did.

Wow, what a killer show! Thanks for posting the setlist Esau, 'cause even my trusty hardcore Dylan friends had some gaps in their list.

For the Phoenix show, I made a much better showing and arrived very close to on time (though I was thinking the show probably started much earlier). Anyway, I walked in and my two friends, Mouse and Paul, were standing right in front of the speakers on the right side. They asked if I wanted to squeeze in front, so I rounded up some drinks and made my way in. I stood for the entire show right beside the speaker cabinet (though most of the speakers were above my head so my hearing loss was minimized) with Bob about 15-20 feet directly in front of me. Could only see one of the guitar players most of the night, and didn't even realize until the show was over that there was only one drummer (Richie) throughout this show. Dylan never played guitar, and only twice left the keys to say a couple words. In fact, it seems to me that the songs listed on the setlist as "acoustic" just refer to one of the guitar players strapping on an acoustic guitar. The show was phenomenal. Bob really seemed to be enjoying himself, and cracked a smile several times. Personal highlight would have to be "Tangled Up In Blue", though some of the driving double guitar solos were up there as well. Wish I was a writer and could give more insight, but I just wanna say I loved the show and am now wondering whether there's a way that I might afford tonight's show as well. Apparently some tickets were released early yesterday for last night's show, so a similar situation may present itself today. Gotta work later, but I'm pretty sure the show would be over before then.

Made my way to Caution Jam at Rancho Relaxo from there and it was a really fun night, though I'm feeling the effects of staying out too late and getting up too many days in a row to an alarm clock. Time to crash for this baby [big Grin]

quote:

Dylan never played guitar, and only twice left the keys to say a couple words.

wait, i'm confused.

Do u mean dylan ONLY played guitar, or, he doesn't play guitar AT ALL during his show...

and if its the later, how the hell is that possible? I MUST be misunderstanding something...

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Do u mean dylan ONLY played guitar, or, he doesn't play guitar AT ALL during his show...

and if its the later, how the hell is that possible? I MUST be misunderstanding something...

Yeah,your misunderstanding somthing Steve.

Being 62 years old,Bob has decided to just play piano now-a-days,where he can sit down.He hasn't been up playing guitar very much over the last year or so,still plays harmonica and piano and in my opinion given his age it works better for his vocals,last time I saw him I noticed he was abit winded during some songs.But I guess after playing live for 40 years its bound to take a toll.

Dylan didn't play guitar at all during last night's show, and I was told he didn't play guitar the night before either, but I got to the show too late to tell on Friday. Last night at the Phoenix, he only played keys and harmonica. Somehow, he seems more animated behind the keys, kind of dancing and wobbling, but I'm not sure which is better - it seems as though they have the volume on his keys turned pretty low in the mix.

Wow....

dont know what to say....

'cept i hope Neil never does that.

I had no idea, do the fans, like myself, who dont know TONS about dylan, know this? I mean are people going in, expecting to hear guitar, and get disappointed?

I know when he opened for Phil and Friends 2001, he was still playing guitar....

I bet it would be REALLY cool to see him play piano all night though...

and doesn't he play an acoustic piano? or is it an electric keyboard with piano sounds? I think it would be really cool to see dylan play a grand...

also, i htink the 'acoustic' songs threw me off....i assumed for sure he was playing guitar there...

is it weird seeing someone else playing dylan acoustic songs? especially songs that dont have piano, and all he is doing is singing?

He might like the idea of sitting down, but he wasn't sitting...in fact, his keyboard seems to be too high to sit behind. I don't even think he had a stool if he wanted to sit, though they probably could've found him one quickly enough [Wink]

BTW, Esau where were you on Friday before, during or after nero? I was looking forward to seeing you.

Well just hope Neil's health remains as good as it is.

It's no surprise,Bob hasn't been playing guitar on stage regulary since about 2001,once in awhile he does,but not to often anymore.

Bob has also played piano on stage since pre-1966,so its not a new thing,just new for the last few years that he doesn't play guitar alnight.

Most of Dylan's songs were written on piano and then transcribed to guitar,I have almost the whole tour so far and it all sounds awesome,compared to some of the shows from 2001 when he was getting winded.

does he play a grand?

is it acoustic?

is it electric with piano sounds?

does he play the piano through all the songs? if not, what does he do during teh acoustic solo songs?

Who did he choose to take his place on acoustic?

and from above, do the fans, like myself, who dont know TONS about dylan, know this? I mean are people going in, expecting to hear guitar, and get disappointed?

i'm sorry for the questions, but now i'm very curious. the last time i saw dylan it was horrible. but it was in 2001, when he was playing guitar.

i think i'd be very interested in seeing him play piano....hence the questions...i would shit to hear him play lay lady lay acoustic, solo, on the piano...

oh, and i pray every day for Neils health (seriously)

quote:

Originally posted by MuleMomma:

BTW, Esau where were you on Friday before, during or after nero? I was looking forward to seeing you.

I was here at home.

You won't be seeing me at many jam shows that much anymore,at least in Hamilton.

He was hospitalized in 1997 for abit.(I believe)

He does play grand piano once in awhile,but this tour he's being playing a keyboard with a "piano" sound I guess.From what I hear from the shows,he plays the keyboard throughout.

Larry Campbell (guitar/pedal-steel guitar/mandolin/violin)

Tony Garnier (bass)

Richie Hayward (drums)

Freddie Koella (guitar)

George Recile (drums)

I have a couple awesome versions of Lay lady lay acoustic,I'll see what shows they are.When he played Hamilton place in 92 he did an awesome acoustic set,but that show is literally impossible to find and when I did find it,the guiy who has it wouldn't trade with me since he only trades for Dylan and I had nothing he needed,granted he has like 600+ shows I believe.

Well, I don't know if I'm the proper person to answer the questions regarding keyboard setup, as I really don't know my keyboard rigs, but I'll give it a shot and maybe you can figure it out. It appeared that Dylan had a small yellow electric keyboard, perhaps a Roland (maybe his website says) on really high thin legs, like tripod legs. He either played and sang, or played harp throughout the songs, and periodically, say during a dual guitar solo, he would play with one hand and turn to the audience and smile or nod or whatever. The two fabulous guitar players appeared to trade off on electric guitar and acoustic guitar solos, though I couldn't see them very well. One of the two also played slide. Even the songs that made reference to acoustic were with a full band, but with the changeover from electric to acoustic of one of the guitar players.

And, as to your other question whether anyone seemed disappointed, I would say with almost complete certainty that there was not a single dissatisfied patron in the room, and perhaps several Dylan converts if there was a skeptic to begin with.

Lastly, I am also concerned with the absence of Esau at jam-related shows - what's up?

thanks for the answers...

i'm glad the fans are supportive of his decision, just like when he went acoustic to electric [Wink]

i WISH i had known about his new setup, i'd definately have checked him out, at least once.

where is he tonight?

plus, he hasn't played lay lady lay in T.O. so far...

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

i'm glad the fans are supportive of his decision, just like when he went acoustic to electric
[Wink]

Thats funny that myth is still top story,the fans were not booing Dylan as the story has been over the years.I recall reading a similair article in a book about Bob,by the same guy below.

quote:

I was one of the directors of the Newport Folk Festival and I was in the wings during Dylan's Saturday night performance. Every time I heard those stories retold, I'd say, to whoever was talking,"That's not how I remember it. Nobody made a move for the power. Nobody took a swing at the sound man. It wasn't Dylan the audience was booing."

-Bruce Jackson

The myth of Newport '65:

Funny how some stories seem to stick no matter what.

I have the show and there is no booing during Bob.

Originally posted by MuleMomma:

Could only see one of the guitar players most of the night, and didn't even realize until the show was over that there was only one drummer (Richie) throughout this show.

Actually, Richie Hayward only played for the middle chunk of the show. I didn't notice exactly when he came on or when he left, but they definitely used two different drummers during the course of the evening.

To correct a previous post and to answer a question from a previous post. Dylan doesn't sit behind a piano he stands the hole night. And to answer Steve, Dylan does play an electric keyboard style piano. Personally I miss him playing guitar on occasion as there are no more great acoustic sets during the shows anymore. Though I do agree with the previous post that his vocals might very well be better behind the keyboards. Dylan seems to think his lines through more, though it's debatable. I posted the setlist last night with the number of times each song has been played though it wasn't put up? I'll do it for all three shows after tonights gig at the Kool Haus. It was nice seeing Brian Hamilton last night.

Well my apologys,I used the word "sits" too loosely I guess. I understand he stands behind the keyboard.I guess I just read too much on the Dylan message boards about the previous shows.

As well,my opinion on his vocals stems merely from listening to all the shows up until last night,definatly not fact.Although the Ricoh show I feel his vocals sound really well for what I heard yesterday anyway.

Unfortunatley,a family death has caused me from missing these shows for obvious reasons,I have heard the friday show and am getting a copy of last nights sometime today or tomorrow,so my opinion on his vocals is only pertaining to the shows I have 02/28 - 03/19.

hey Tim, welcome.

"I also didn't realize Dylan wasn't playing guitar. Too bad..."

i'm glad i'm not the only one...i musta read the post four times over thinking....dylan's not playing guitar AT ALL...?

i'd be interested in grabbing the best of the three night run off you in the future greg. no rush, no worries. i'm just kinda curious.

Steve

Sad I missed this. No ones commented on the intimacy, was Bob sporting the confederate stash? Sort of bummed about losing out on a ticket but at least the previous nights setlist looked preferable just in terms of personal preference.

Archived