Jambands.ca

The GD with spoons around their necks?

Chewie

i was reading this essay online and this was in it...

"In the 1970s cocaine was a status symbol for aspiring middle-class sophisticates. It was described as a drug without a downside. The Grateful Dead wore spoons around their necks and peddlers worked the crowds selling paraphernalia to their fans."

now i know the band members especially jerry loved powder and i've seen people bumpin in the lot but spoons around their necks?

wtf?

here's the link

quote:

Originally posted by Esau:

Also Jerry wasn't a huge fan of that kinda "powder".

But the spoon thing has been a symbol of that since the 60's.No big news there.

yeah, yeah i know about the horse...but it started with blow.

i get the "spoon symbol" but what i'm asking...has anybody ever seen spoons around jerry, mickey, bill, phill, bob or the godchauxs?

gawd...

quote:

Originally posted by Chewie:

yeah, yeah i know about the horse...but it started with blow.

i get the "spoon symbol" but what i'm asking...has anybody ever seen spoons around jerry, mickey, bill, phill, bob or the godchauxs?

gawd...

No need to get all pissy here,I misunderstood your question,my apologys to you.

I've never seen pics of Jerry "chasing the dragon" either,so who knows it maybe true or not also.

Whats "gawd" mean?

quote:

Whats "gawd" mean?

same thing as "rawk".

i'm sure most here are familiar with some audio jerry interviews where you can hear him intermittently taking big sniffs, and then following it up with long rambles to answer the question. well, with or without the marching powder he was always a pretty good speaker i thought.

Archived