Jambands.ca

This TUESDAY!!!

weisle

It's largely the same as the Beacon DVD. It's still worthy to buy.

A better buy would be the recent 1970 Allman Brothers Live @ The Atlanta Pop Festival. This release is almost as good as Fillmore East, and it's just as important historically. Plus, no matter what, Derek and Warren ain't no Dickey and Duane.

Hell, buy all three!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

It's largely the same as the Beacon DVD. It's still worthy to buy.

A better buy would be the recent 1970 Allman Brothers Live @ The Atlanta Pop Festival. This release is almost as good as Fillmore East, and it's just as important historically. Plus, no matter what, Derek and Warren ain't no Dickey and Duane.

Hell, buy all three!

Agreed on the Atlanta call,I have a three album (vinyl) set called The First Great Rock Festival Of The Seventies

Has some smoking cuts of ABB from Atlanta.

-Statesborough Blues

-Whippin' Post

-Stormy Monday

Along with cuts from Isle of Wight.

I saw the original Atlanta Pop Festival album not too long back in a used record shop,really should have grabbed it.

You should have grabbed it Esau. It has some unreleased stuff on it too, that won't be on your long out-of-print album.

The Atlanta Pop CD has some fine Allmans playing. Dickey is really " on " and Duane mostly shines - although he uses some repetetive licks and phrasings throughout, but most obvious on the Whipping Posts and Mountain Jams. However, Duane's slow blues solos on Stormy Monday are some of his finest ever recorded.

Hey, there's a raw and powerful Dreams on this release too. It's worth the price of the CD, whether being new or used.

I still may be able to grab it,this tore doesn't get alot of traffic through it and its open at the owners whim...some weeks mon-fri others tues-thurs.

I did some searching online for ot and found this:

The Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival

Same album,same cover.

Might have to journey on by there this week.

Good review. I would give it 4/5 stars. This album lies right between Ludlow Garage and Fillmore East in the band's development abd direction. No matter what, the new CD, out Tuesday, can never rank in importance to their past works.

Still, I like this revamped incarnation of the ABB alot, and the new live album from the Beacon will be worth every penny.

quote:

The Atlanta Pop CD has some fine Allmans playing. Dickey is really " on " and Duane mostly shines - although he uses some repetetive licks and phrasings throughout, but most obvious on the Whipping Posts and Mountain Jams. However, Duane's slow blues solos on Stormy Monday are some of his finest ever recorded.

Hey, there's a raw and powerful Dreams on this release too. It's worth the price of the CD, whether being new or used.

wholeheartedly agree here. after listening to the Dreams, i thought i had made my money back already, but then that Stormy Monday really really hit the soul. everyone should have this in their lives.

Archived