Jambands.ca

Jerry's Greatest Solo?

B & Z

Sure. [big Grin]

12-2-77 Garcia Band @ The Orpheum, Boston, MA performing "The Harder They Come".

Garcia gives a masterclass of phrasing, melody and technique. His guitar solo(s) is just awesome. Rory of the Gratefully Deadicated Sound System plays this one a lot, and for good reason: it rocks!

I agree with Marc0 that show smokes.

There are a lot I really enjoy,as for greatest,I guess thats a matter of individual opinion.

Some I feel are great:

-1969-10-28 (J.A.P House 2400 Fulton St.)

-1975-04-09 (Legion)

-1975-04-19 (Legion)

-1976-12-01 (Orpheum)

-1977-12-02 (Orpheum)*I second Marc0's call.

-1991-02-03 (Warfield)

-1991-11-19 (Providence)

Merely my thoughts,I know there are many other awesome shows but these get regular rotation around here.

Hux, listening to "http://www.gdlive.com/dead/770508/77-05-08105Jackstraw(8.04).mp3" right now. Nice happy hippy song. I couldn't imagine choosing this as a great solo though. It's obviously tasteful but where is the emotion drenched, take me to another world, oh my gawd what was that, how did he do it, holy shit ... etc. I couldn't find it.

Headband still tightened, waiting to get off!

STeve

I'm so out of the loop with my dead knowledge...sems to be trickling back in thanks to you guys.

I recall the "Beautiful Jam" that Zimmerman is talking about. Quite good. I always liked the King Solomon (?) jams from a few shows (although One from he vault doesn't do it justice at all.

Can't remember the date (3-23-75 or so?) but the SNACK benefit had some wild guitar and bass riffs happening, despite poor quality on my copy. And I'm sure BradM will chime in with this but the opening track of DP 12 is fantastic.

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

And I'm sure BradM will chime in with this but the opening track of DP 12 is fantastic.

Well, not as a "best Jerry solo": what appeals to me about the start of DP 12 is more the loose/fun/funky feel than the soloing prowess.

I'll offer up the "After Midnight -> Eleanor Rigby -> After Midnight" from disc 2 of JGB 1980.03.08. The way he transitions between the songs, and the way he plays ER instrumentally, just about melt me.

In the "frantic/out" vein, the "New Minglewood Blues" from GD 1983.10.15 is pretty heavy. (ISTR someone [low roller?] pointing this out as one of Garcia's more "out/all-over-the-map" efforts. If this isn't the show, let me know; I think it was a "10-15", but the only year I can find that fits is 1983.)

Aloha,

Brad

"but where is the emotion drenched, take me to another world, oh my gawd what was that, how did he do it, holy shit ... etc. I couldn't find it."

Dude, not every solo has to be of biblical proportion and length to be great! Check out the speed and precision of the runs he's playing - toight!!

The idea is not to piss on Jerry. It's to become educated. For example, someone asks me about Jimi, I'll say "Well, listen to the solo in Watchtower. Yes, I know it's a commercial tune and no cover band should ever play it but it is wonderfully constructed. It's a materpiece.".

Brad, I'm not set up for the flac dance. Are there mp3's of those shows?

STeve

I'm partial to Jerry's solo during Fire on the Mountain - Cal Expo Amphitheatre - Sacramento, CA - August 6, 1989

It was the only time I actually saw Jerry WAILING onstage. He was leaning way back, swinging his axe around & acting like a total ROCK STAR!!!

It actually would have been pretty funny if it wasn't so unbelievably SMOKING!!!

I know albums shouldn't count but the whole Slipknot progression haunts me, sounds like a man bearing his soul wretchingly through tears and emerging on the other side triumpant and renewed

live I can still hear every note of the 10 minute solo at the end of Deal, last song, first set, Buffalo 89 (the solo from Dew that night was a chill giver too)

Archived