Jambands.ca

Great Bass Lines

PhishyK

I can't believe I forgot this one the first time around!

Probably my first real "experience" with bass. Tripping balls in my basement with my brother in high school and we must have listened to But Anyway by Blues Traveler 50 times or more with the bass cranked and everything else at a minimum.

RIP Bobby

Sean

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

How about
Lou Reed's
"Take A Walk On The Wild Side"?!? I think Herbie Flowers (session player extraordinaire) laid down the fat four strings on that one...

Actually, that is 2 bass players on that song ... Klaus Voorman on electric and Herbie Flowers on acoustic.

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

quote:

Originally posted by dave-O:

When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around - The Police

(also in contention for longest song title ever)

A great pick for sure, although "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" by Pink Floyd has it beat on the later score. I'm sure there are longer titles than that one as well... hmmm, another thread perhaps?

...before it becomes another thread and I forget, I think my favourite long title has to be Alice Donut's "The Son of A Disgruntled Ex-Postal Worker Reflects On His Life While Getting Stoned In The Parking Lot of a Winn Dixie Listening To Metallica"

quote:

Originally posted by Hux:

The Music Never Stopped

9.3.77 Englishtown, NY

Crank that one MOMMA!
!!!

No question about this one! I remember when my hippy friends played this track for me when I was first getting started on the bass. Woohoo!

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Wow, I just realized nobody (myself included) mentioned
The Who
! Apparently Jaimoe isn't online at the moment...
[Wink]

Entwhistle's a classic, there are dozens of great ones but "The Real Me" and obviously "My Generation" jump immediately to mind.

- M.

The first bass line that jumped into my head when I saw the post title was 'Happy Jack'.

That's one of the first licks I ever learned.

peace w/deep bottom

Allen Woody on Gov't Mule's Blind Man in the Dark

Larry Graham on GCS' Ghetto

Rusty Allen on Sly And The Family Stone's Fresh Album

Bruce Gordon on I Mother Earth's One More Astronaut

Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaway's Live album...Bass solo at the end is the honest to god best!

Check out my album, Lessons Learned by my band Bullmoose and tell me what you think of the sound and the playing on it! www.bullmoose.ca

Seamo

quote:

Originally posted by Northern Wish:

RIP Bobby

Here, here!

-

Popper gets and deserves a lot of credit, but as a harmonica player I'll be the first to admit that a lot of what made those first couple BT albums really rock was Bobby Sheehan's bass playing as much as the harp or anything else.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

I'll second this as a killer bass line:

Peg - Steely Dan

and add that Jaco Pastorius in his Weather Report/Joe Zawinul years was unrivaled in melodic bass lines...perhaps not a bootsy but a really smart and nerdy bootsy?

I have to jump in (and revive this thread-sorry I'm slow) and enthusiastically agree with these sweet picks. Bernard Purdie/Chuck Rainey and Jaco/Peter Erskine are probably my two alltime favourite rhythm sections. Although I may like the Kid Charlamagne bassline a little bit better than Peg. Shit, Tom Barney does a sweet Josie on Alive in America thats hard to ignore, too. And the melodic Jaco stuff, I always rave about the Black Market opening track of 8:30, thats the sweetest major key vamp ever....me likey.

Archived