Jambands.ca

lets pay respect to...

Jared

the modern automobile

The history of the automobile shows an evolution that took place worldwide. It is estimated that over 100,000 patents created the modern automobile. However, we can point to the many firsts that occurred along the way. Starting with the first theoretical plans for a motor vehicle that had been drawn up by both Leonardo da Vinci and Isaac Newton. In 1769, the very first self-propelled road vehicle was a military tractor invented by French engineer and mechanic, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot

1885 - Gottlieb Daimler invented what is often recognized as the prototype of the modern gas engine - with a vertical cylinder, and with gasoline injected through a carburetor (patented in 1887). Daimler first built a two-wheeled vehicle the "Reitwagen" (Riding Carriage) with this engine and a year later built the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle

all i can say is imagine having to walk or ride a horse to hamilton to see a show from toronto with out a car or a motor,, it would probably take me 2 days to walk there from toronto

and i know they cause alot of polution, but i think they also make alot of things possable and save some lives.

and think all this in under 150 years, just think what cars will be like in another 150 years

bring on the electric hybrids! (which also relates to yesterdays respect theme)

nothing so fine as a road trip no matter how the vehicle is powered

boo to all the burnt processed fossil fuel we've had to breath all our lives though

(don't run out of that herb jared, thats the kind B for you)

Between 1832 and 1839 Robert Anderson from Scotland invented the first electric carriage.

A small-scale electric car was designed by Professor Stratingh from, Holland, in 1835. Practical and more successful electric road veichels were invented by american thomas davenport and Robert Davidson around 1842. Both inventors were the first to use non-rechargeable electric cells.

reasons why the "man" says electric cars didn;t work out:

in the 1920s, USA had a better system of roads that connecting cities thus make in greater need for longer-range vehicles.

discovery of crude oil in texas cause the pice of gasoline to drop so that it was affordable to the everyone

The invention of the electric starter by Charles Kettering in 1912 eliminated the need for the hand crank.

mass production of internal combustion engines by Henry Ford made these cars very afordable to the avrage consumer

hybrids are getting pretty feasible these days

quote:

Hybrid cars get more than 50 mpg by using both a gasoline engine and an electric motor powered by batteries. The gas engine recharges the batteries as well as powering the car. Unlike previous cars with electric engines, you never have to plug them in.

recent hybrid story

only problem seems to be:

quote:

How much do you care about environmental issues? Hybrid cars cut down sharply on the emission of smog-forming air pollutants. With diesels, you're helping to lower greenhouse gases implicated in global warming just by burning less fuel. But environmentalists caution that diesel emissions of soot are too high
without improved low-sulfur fuel, not yet available here.

i personaly lean towards bio diesle, its very clean and peoduces very little polution, mostly an odour that is associated with deep fryers, and the exhauts produces water. it can also be made out of a verity of things including hemp, and vegatable oils

sorry my buzz is wearing off, and i'm getting tired

that would be sweet, i fell like such a bastard for buying a new van with a gas motor know what we do polution, but i need to get around so you do what you have to..

on another note they opened a gas station in unionville that sells some form of bio diesel all the time now, it is cheeper then the regual diesle, and work with any diesel moter with no conversion or damage to the motor

yay automobiles. can't imagine what my life would be without 'em. better or worse, who knows, but boy oh boy are they fun.

i worked at a gas station through highschool and it was great to learn how many cab companies and workers with big ol trucks had converted thier vehicles to propane. not a perfect alternative, but it is a lot better environmentally.

i'm pretty excited about the alternative fuel technologies being developed. how cool would it be to use the waste from one industry as the fuel for another.... sounds almost sustainable-like [Eek!]

just think how much less pollution there would be if people didn't fall for the marketing campaigns of suvs and other large vehicles. i mean, do you really need a hummer to get over the bump in the zehr's entrance, come on people, use your heads! i totally love cars though. our entire cultural system is based on the automobile. without cars there would be no north america as we know it. again, i stand by my conviction that if i had a time machine, i would go back and kill henry ford. not for personal reasons, just because his invention (the assembly line) is the one that is helping to kill the planet the most. ooohh, i am rambling again, and my rice is cooked, i am going to eat dinner.

Archived