Jambands.ca

The Slip?

Northern Wish

I know there are some huge Slip fans out there....

I was wondering if anyone knew of any free sites where I could stream their music or download some mp3's (keep in mind I'm at work). I have no home computer or burner that is operational right now, and would love to hear some of their stuff. I have none of their stuff, and would like a push in the right direction for what to listen to first.

I have seen them but it was at Evolve 2002 and the first night I decided to try and keep up with Pablo Sanchez- and well I don't remember the rest of the weekend. Although I still remember how to play Roggae, Dave!

Sean

I'll second the Narrows- holy fuck is that a good clean show (the second night electric).

Also the Japan is hot.

For some songs to look out for in terms of their gems: Spice Groove, Yellow Medecine, Honey Melon, Rhythm and Gold, Lion On A Rock, Zion, Alsoa....

They've got shitloads of amazing songs of the newer batch of songier songs there's: Children of December, Come Over, Something Learned, Soft Machine- all of those have a really solid hook and great lyrics.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

I'll second the Narrows- holy fuck is that a good clean show (the second night electric).

Also the Japan is hot.

For some songs to look out for in terms of their gems: Spice Groove, Yellow Medecine, Honey Melon, Rhythm and Gold, Lion On A Rock, Zion, Alsoa....

They've got shitloads of amazing songs of the newer batch of songier songs there's: Children of December, Come Over, Something Learned, Soft Machine- all of those have a really solid hook and great lyrics.

i'd like to add The Woods, Dear Melina, and If One of Us Should Fall...

i'll stop here as im sure we could all keep going and going...

The Slip

Friday, August 29th, 2003

Bumbrella Stage; Bumbershoot

Seattle, WA

source : Microtech Gefell 200 cardiod (DFC, 30' back) > PS2 > Hosa MIT-435 > SBM-1 (Oade mod) > m1@44.1k

transfer : dat/m > Tascam DA-20 > AP2496 > SF5.0f > CDWave1.71 > mkw

recorded by Ian from Portland; patch and transfer by Miles Abrams

*One Set

01. Song->

02. December's Children->

03. Nellie Jean->

04. Get Me With Fuji

05. stage banter

06. Poor Boy->

07. Sometimes True To Nothing

Hands down, start to finish, THE best Slip show I've ever heard. The Nellie Jean-> Fuji is worth a listen alone... Also one of the more "upbeat" Slip shows I've heard... I'd also highly recommend 2003-12-30.

That's an odd choice but I know what you mean it's a really clean set. I don't like those short one set festival gigs though and would take a totally different song selection any day. The Narrows electric still has it for me (by the time they get to the encores and they're into the thick of December it is just off the hook in terms of creativity and intensity).

Don't get me wrong Kung, I'll take 2 sets over 1 any day. Yes, very clean, but the playing is absolutely mindblowing on this show (in my opinion). All 3 of the guys really get a chance to step and and shine... My favorite Andrew Barr "solo", as well as my favorite Fuji. Brad is stellar, as usual...

Holy Crap that server is full!!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a truly memorable Slip show say from the last two years. I think every one they have played is on this server and I just found out my IT director is out for the next two days so its a free for all on the 10 Mbps switch network bandwidth around here.

Sean

Keep in mind that I only have around 20 Slip shows (so far! [Wink] ), so I'm far from an expert... I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more shows and seeing them live! That Bumbershoot show is the best show I've heard so far, and I highly recommend it to Slip newbies who are looking for a really accessable, high energy show. Of course, it only gets crazier from there... Some of their early jazz sets from 97/98 are unbelievable, and everything that I've heard from 2003 pushes the limits... They are an incredible band, and pretty much every show I've heard is worth a listen.

Archived