Jambands.ca

The healthy CanJam scene - who do we got?

keither

I am starting to realize how truth really is debatable and not taste. There is no accounting for taste. There are just too many factors that influence one person or another's appreciation of this or that performance. I do think though you have to stick with your intuition and really try and gauge which bands really connect with you. I am looking for authenticity and clarity of vision in alot of ways (telepathic communication never hurts either. But on that note the real bands of distinction in my mind are:

Recipe From A Small Planet

Nero

Slow Coaster

Special Ed and the Musically Challenged

And of course there's your fan favourites, the Jimmy Swifts, Theft Bus', Fatties and Caution Jammers (the Burts as well). In alot of ways those bands are sort of institutions cause of how dialed in they are to our collective history. But the ones there do strike me as particularly unique seemingly effortless craftsmen.

That's funny... I really don't think nero is all that distinctive... More like another hippie trance band in an already saturated genre... [Wink][Wink][Wink]

I would add GTB to the distinctive pile myself... Nothing sounds like the Bus, and if there are others I'd love to hear them...

Yeah,

GTB score originality points in my book for sure, but I also think that the trancy (if that's a word) melodic nature of Nero is fused with breakdowns and unexpected twists that make Nero a lot more than just another trance band. I hear them as a very original band, BUT that IS my opinion.

Lates

G

Don't take Del seriously he's the biggest nero groupie ever. He's been crying in his shreddies ever since he heard Dave's getting hitched.

I'd go with the GTB call at least in terms of their songwriting and melodies, I find that group improvisation style sort of plays itself out though despite the effort. Pretty hard at all to find fault with nero but if anything I'd say that I often wish they could kick into different modes of sound i.e. indy rock distortion, country (not phish country), funk etc. I think it's because of the cleanliness of Dave's sound that it tends to sort of whitewash them.

I hear you about the drawn out nature of GTB jams. Sometimes it seems like it takes them a while to get everybody "on board" for the jam. Don't get me wrong, that does not hinder my enjoyment of their music, but there have been times at shows when I've craved faster transitions. I don't know what to say about Nero, I expect that, after this album, we'll see a sonic change, however, that could be just wishful thinking. At the same time, they still can through me for a few loops when I see them and its not all cause of the drugs.

G

I hear you about the drawn out nature of GTB jams. Sometimes it seems like it takes them a while to get everybody "on board" for the jam. Don't get me wrong, that does not hinder my enjoyment of their music, but there have been times at shows when I've craved faster transitions. I don't know what to say about Nero, I expect that, after this album, we'll see a sonic change, however, that could be just wishful thinking. At the same time, they still can through me for a few loops when I see them and its not all cause of the drugs.

G

It's good to know we've been on the road for 10 years all over eastern Canada playing for all the kind folks in every town from windsor to antigonish from fort erie to timmins just to get one hello from this thread ...

REALLY MAKES IT ALL WORTH WHILE...... www.cautionjam.com

To be fair Cjamson, I think the point of this thread is trying to make a list and not voting for your faves, although we've had a couple of sidebars to that effect from Kung and others. But after C-towns mentioned you guys I don't think everyone else felt they had to, that's all. No reason to think there isn't a lot of love fo'all'y'all out there! :D

Hope to seeya again soon!

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived