Jambands.ca

Threat From Outer Space

kung

Caught these guys half by chance at the Jimmy Jazz last night and was definitely impressed. Impressed in part that they weren't 4 aryan dudes from Fernie playing the straight jams. Because of their frontman they had more of a Pocket Dwellers vibe but tougher so that Warsawpack would be a more apt comparison. They had a good pulse to what they did and switched up on the instruments, good sax and the vocalist had good flow and conscious sentiments. They are definitely worth catching on their way out east. I guess it's their third time across (they played at Izzy's?) but I hadn't heard much before now. They fit more with other west coast bands like Recipe and Guerilla Funk Monster in that they have their own sound that happens to involve improvisation but don't quite fit into the jamband mould.

Yeah the guys name is Tamim I believe and he has a confident forthright style and manner. I mean his intentions seem good to begin with. I really like Nigel from Pocket Dwellers both as a person and musician though, even though they play their 'set' like Bullfrog I'm always impressed and Nigel just harnesses it all together like a bandleader. Tamim though is more on the Lee Raback tip but less caustic. He definitely compliments rather than overpowers the band. I think alot of the time when people don't like hip hop influenced frontmen they often don't actually listen to alot of hip hop to begin with. They had a jungle sort of breakbeat flavour too good urban dancefloor shit. Only major boourns goes to them canning it at like 1:00 I explained this shit would wash this time but if you come back and don't play 'til at least 2:00 there'll be hell to pay. This Guelph bitch.

Archived