Jambands.ca

Bob Wiseman and his DAMN ugly children..

gentlemonkey

Are playing at BUmpers.. [Confused] on Saturday night. I'd love to go see BoB again, but that is such a horrendous room to see a show in. And I know Moonraker at Babylon is going to be the place to party on Saturday..

maybe an early pit stop is in order. oh yeah, it's pablo sanchez's birthday celebration as well! Time to giver!

With apologies to Moonraker, Babylon, Ojams et al, this Bob Wiseman show is a must for me. I'll reveal my incredible bias by stating Bob is possibly my all-time favourite musician and performer, and he's in my top ten for favourite songwriters. I'll further say that this ex-Blue Rodeo guy has released about 8 brilliant cd's of his own aside from tons of session stuff and soundtrack writing, produced everyone from Ron Sexsmith to Edie Brickell, is one of the finest improvising pianists in Canada today, and nearly changed his name to Prince, and to answer the vote of dissappointment with the venue, I'll say what I've said a hundred times, that the Bob Wiseman show I saw at Zaphod's (a venue I quite dislike) is rated as one of the top three concerts I've ever seen, and perhaps seeing him at such a small, weird venue will make it better. See you there. And yes, I'm sure taping is allowed.

he's doing a solo piano show here in March at the new Guelph Youth Music Centre, march 15th- I'll get it into the events listings...

fuckers- enjoy your weekend of music Ottawa.

he also did a unique preformance piece for a friend of ours who did a land mine musuem fundraiser. It was a special thing he had don't just for that show too!- no one recorded it!

Agreed, agreed, agreed! Bob Wiseman blew me away. I can't remember ever experiencing a show like his. It is extremely unique, funny, thought provoking, experimental and entertaining. He is one-of-a-kind and not to be missed.

I think Bumpers sucks too, but out of shit grows beautiful things people. And if anyone can turn that place into bliss for one evening it's Bob Wiseman.

My thanks to Velvet for convincing me to go see him the first time around.

OK, I went to http://www.bobwiseman.ca and downloaded the MP3s that were there and...I wasn't impressed. Some of it struck me a bit like Radiohead (who also don't impress me), and it just didn't do much for me. The MP3s don't show off his piano ability much if at all, so I'm willing to dig a bit deeper. Does anybody know of any more of his music (live shows, ideally) available online? I downloaded the MP3s from http://www.moonrakermusic.com and liked them more than Wiseman's, so I'm thinking I'd enjoy that show more, but I'd like to get a more representative sample of what's going to happen at Bumpers.

Aloha,

Brad

Bob Wiseman is excellent.

There was a wierd period where my buddy Brian and I seemed to run into him in Hamilton all the time. Last time I saw him, I'm standing on the corner of Hess and King, waiting for the light to change to cross, heading for the Fat Cats at the old La Luna (RIP). He comes up behind me - and although we had never met, we recognized each other b/c we had bumped into each other like 5 times in the past 3 days. So, he offers me some of his carrot muffin, gestures up the street to Copps Coliseum and says, "yeah, my old band (Blue Rodeo) are playing there tonight" - this was a Juno night - "but, y'know, it's just not my thing...." and just walks away before i can say anything to that and proceeds to cross the street ahead of me.

Except for the 10 minutes he spent inside La Luna after that incident, I never saw him again.

My buddy Brian had seen him hanging in the Mcmaster food court earlier. Wierd. For a few days there, he was everywhere!! [big Grin]

Well BradM, try to think of Bob Wiseman along the lines of performance art as well as musical genius. As I understand it, his music spans so many genres and takes on so many different formats and emotions that a download or two just can't convey what he is all about. His body of work with a huge number of artists means that there must be stuff out there which does not truly exemplify his own sound. He is a spectacle and therefore must be seen to be appreciated. It is NOT what we are used to which makes it even more worthy of being seen.

I think it should be possible to do both shows though.

Note that it's not the monetary cost that concerns me, it's the opportunity cost of possibly missing most of Moonraker.

The Wiseman web page lists the show as 10pm, so I'll cross my fingers, hope he starts near that time, and furtherly hope that Moonraker starts later than 11:30pm; if all that happens, I just might be able to see all of both shows.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Bumpers is in the Glebe, just S. of the 417, almost across from Crosstown Traffic, no?

Brad - yes, that's right, see you there. Plus, if for some reason you don't like it, you can leave early and guaranteed catch all of Moonraker.

GrooveFetish - yes, that's right, it was only by fluke that I heard about this show. Don't miss this chance folks!

Archived