Jambands.ca

Tom Glazer died.

paisley

Who is Tom Glazer, you ask? He was a silly folk singer who wrote and recorded the classic song "On Top of Spaghetti".

But he was so much more than that. He also performed on a series of (sadly out of print) science records in the late 50s/early 60s that included wonderful songs like "What Is The Milky Way", "What Is Gravity", "Kinetic And Potential Energy", "How Clouds Are Formed", "Thumbnail Sketch Of Atomic Energy" (my personal favorite) and the classic (popularized by They Might Be Giants) "Why Does the Sun Shine?". These songs are probably the best, and kitschiest, example of edutainment ever.

You can find MP3s of his work (written by Lou Singer and Hy Zaret) at http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/ .

(found this out on Boing Boing)

On top of spagetti, all covered in cheese, I lost my poor meatball.......

the strange roads to infamy

He also wrote "Talking Inflation Blues"

Covered by Bob Dylan on "Minnesota Party Tape, Minneapolis, MN, Autumn 1960 (erroneously listed as "Talking Lobbyist" in Krogsgaard.)"

-

Also numerous tales of the Civil War .

Peace

For some reason...I still know all of the words to "on top of spaghetti".

I think I used to play that on my K-tel record and sing-along all the time as a kid.

What's scientific about spaghetti you ask? I guess newton's 3rd law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction so when he lost his poor meatball to someone sneezing...he was really experiencing newtonian physics right before his eyes.

Not only that, but newton's first law states Every body continues in its state of rest or of uniform speed in a straight line unless it is compelled to change that state by a net force acting on it...

that net force you may already know is the infamous BUSH in the garden that turned his meatball into mush.

I gotta turn of the discovery channel!

quote:

For some reason...I still know all of the words to "on top of spaghetti".

Yeah, when I heard he died I realized I did to. Thats some good songwritin, you hear it once as a kid and remember it all your life [smile]

Cheers to Tom

(sectube - we'll discuss a transportation strategy at the cats sun... or we can meet up tomorrow at mermaid's... no plans on the Product, financially challenged currently)

Archived