Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Dr. Hux w/ Qtwist @ Dekcuf tonight

bradm

Another Thursday, another set-blender...ho hum... [Roll Eyes]

Yup, Dr. Huxtable (the band) is putting on a wing-ding of epic proprtions to celebrate the launch of the redesigned Dr. Huxtable (the website) and the birthday of Dr. Huxtable (the guitar player and Sanctuarian). It's two sets each from Dr. Huxtable (the band) and Quivertwist, done in that seamless style jamband fans have come to know and love and tapers have come to know and despise [Razz] .

Usual logistics apply: Cafe Dekcuf, start time ca. 10pm, $5 at the door.

Is you in or is you ain't?

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by rainmakerrtv:

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Oh,
man
, that would be fun...have Hux go 'way into the spacy/trippy stuff...and on stage...the band decked out in costume, maybe acting out a scene with a young maiden chained to an altar, with the evil wizard menacing her, while minions dance around in sacred garb...OK, I'l stop now...

Aloha,

Brad

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Hawkwind, Brad? [Wink]

Sort of the bizarre love child of Spinal Tap, the Jimmy Page fantasy sequence from "The Song Remains The Same" (ever tried using a violin bow, Doc?) with a little Iron Maiden thrown in for good measure -.

Aloha,

Brad

Ha ha Dr.Hux.....you sure did seem to be enjoying those Martinis [big Grin] That was a pretty fun room but the gobs of gay guys were my fave.....cuties.....

I had to serve breakfast to those forestry guys this morning and boy did they keep asking for more water....though honestly I think I was more tired than them.

oh ya roll call.....too tired [Frown] too broke....next time [big Grin]

....a story to tell about the gay fellows.....gees which ones.....it was a gay fellorama in there...

a couple of my favorite co-workers who are gay heard about it this morning and were VERY jealous [big Grin]

.....I betcha your story involves the realy extravagant fellow wearing the semi-wife beater shirt....he was hillareously wasted...more than you even [Wink] once he got ahold of my name it was Julia this and Julia that and oh my darling Julia and sweet Julia et et....ha ha...funny nights [smile]

ah well you'll be happy to know that I gorged on fruit and chocolate fondue after all was said and done....and salmon and cheese and bread and and and and cheers to whomever footed that bill [big Grin]

.....although lots of speak about how responsibly managed our forests are????? I dunno about that [Frown] Mabey things are changing.

quote:

quote:

somebody from Witches Gathering will be there (still pitching for Dr. Hux to play this year)

Oh, man, that would be fun...have Hux go 'way into the spacy/trippy stuff...and on stage...the band decked out in costume, maybe acting out a scene with a young maiden chained to an altar, with the evil wizard menacing her, while minions dance around in sacred garb...OK, I'l stop now...

Uhhh, isn't this year's theme s'posed to be Norse or something? Mind you, the guys in the cotton loincloths with last year's Egyptian theme provided yummy beefcake to look at ... I'd be happy to go with that theme again.

What was the question, again?

Oh, right. Please do get the Huxies to play at this year's Gathering. Then we'd be assured that DancingFool would show up, and I could run a pool to see how many minutes it would take for him to hurt himself on or near the dance floor. He so gets into the groove ...

(S'okay DF ... I'll try to make sure that The Mercenary shows up with the BlunderBus ... or a medic.)

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

We're going to have a few posters and handbills for next Thursday's
Circulate w/ Jiva Ju
show tonight to hand out.

If anyone can help by grabbing a bunch tonight, to put up at school or around town, please let us know.

Put me down for four or five, and I'll slap 'em up on CubicleM and any notice boards I can find around the office.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

somebody from Witches Gathering will be there (still pitching for Dr. Hux to play this year)

Oh, man, that would be fun...have Hux go 'way into the spacy/trippy stuff...and on stage...the band decked out in costume, maybe acting out a scene with a young maiden chained to an altar, with the evil wizard menacing her, while minions dance around in sacred garb...OK, I'l stop now...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Oh,
man
, that would be fun...have Hux go 'way into the spacy/trippy stuff...and on stage...the band decked out in costume, maybe acting out a scene with a young maiden chained to an altar, with the evil wizard menacing her, while minions dance around in sacred garb...OK, I'l stop now...

Aloha,

Brad

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Hawkwind, Brad? [Wink]

Actually, things would be a lot easier if I could just get my hands on a CD of a Dr. Hux performance that could help me pitch the idea to the organizing committee [Wink]

Rob Not Bob

subtle not subtle

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

It was the "Canadian Forest Producers"....which I guess, is uh...wood and stuff....

Huh-huh...he said...huh-huh...wood...huh-huh...

Considering the amount of 'er given last night, I'm surprisingly awake. I think that was the best I've seen Quivertwist play; they stretched things out and jammed more than I've heard them do before. (Qt songs tend to be more "composed" and structured, which is why set-blending them with a more loose/open band like Dr. H works well, I think.)

And Huxtable put on one of the best sets I've heard them do, 'way spacier than usual. Nice "Eyes...", nice to hear the new tunes done up electrically, nice to see the JD bottle perched prominently...

-

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks to all that came... QT is an amazing band, with tight an excellent musicians. I kept looking forward to blending/ jamming with them.

The synth-wars thing between Rick and I was some of the most fun I have ever had on stage. He is an amazing keys player. I had to bust my chops to attempt to keep up with him.

Phred

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

Oh, right. Please do get the Huxies to play at this year's Gathering. Then we'd be assured that DancingFool would show up, and I could run a pool to see how many minutes it would take for him to hurt himself on or near the dance floor. He so gets into the groove ...

Just keep me off the stairs and I should be okay. [big Grin]

Sorry to have missed the fun; deadlines and the like pounding on me. Happy belated to DrHux!

This is nuts, but get this....

Bradm shows up at Dekcuf last night, and hands me a wrapped object "happy birthday" he says - it's a freekin' violin bow!!!!!!!!

So I had a little attempt at doing the Page thing on stage, but I need some time to figure out which effects work best with it and generally to get the hang of it....but it'll be making a return appearance for sure! Thanks bro - that was classic! [smile]

(and thanks also to Dancin Fool I believe? who was part of it as well)

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

(and thanks also to Dancin Fool I believe? who was part of it as well)

It was, indeed, a combined BradM / Fool of the Dance production: I had the idea, e-mailed df about bows (with an eye to picking up a cheap one at Steve's Music on my way to Dekcuf), and it turns out he had an old one (in less than stellar shape) that he had got for free some time ago, which he let me have (along with rosin) for free. I stopped by his place en route to Dekcuf, and the rest is history...well, I'm history, anyway, after last night...I think I got to bed at 3:30am, and got up at 7:30am...gonna be a weekend of The Big Nap...

Aloha,

Brad

Archived