Jambands.ca

Bill Frisell

\/\/illy

So, I just picked up my first Bill Frisell album (with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones) and I'm a little bit surprised. I was expecting something with some more umph to it. I was making this assumption based on people's 5-dics rotation. Did I just pick up a mellow album or is Bill always mellow contemporary jazz-like?

I've got three albums with Frisell:

- the Frisell / Holland / Jones album

- "Falling Off The Roof" by Ginger Baker (with Charlie Haden, IIRC)

- "Smash & Scatteration" with Vernon Reid

All are pretty mellow; he's not really a blazin' kind of guitar player. What he plays is pretty jazzy (with some "American"-ness mixed in, if that's a valid musical concept), and always tasteful. I saw him at the Tulip Fest here in Ottawa a couple of years ago, and spent the night just mesmerized.

Aloha,

Brad

Brian,

Hey, what's that "haze" comment? I remember that moment quite well. [smile]

I gave you a red $50, a green $20, and two blue $5's. See! [big Grin]

Could you hold them at the door for me? That'd be the easiest. Unless you'd like to come over for a couple cold ones before the show. If I can get home in time to accomodate. The disco ball looks killer in my living room. Very groovy.

Guess the haze was all me. I was feeling very fine when that transaction took place.

Won't be taking part in any pre-event activities that night. It'll be a 17 hour day for me once the band loads out. Beers at Diesel Dog is a definite though.

Your tickets will be at the door. See ya there

Archived