Jambands.ca

Who's Got My Heady Slip Report???

guigsy

alright O-Towners who went last nite... im sure the hotel kicked you freaks out a few hours ago... hope the drive back was smooth and uneventful... i imagine ya'll should be pullin' in soon...

so..

HOW THE HELL WAS IT????????

my skins been crawling with jealousy over those who were going to check this out... just a gut feeling that the boys would turn it out big time at the pop montreal fest... new home.. a kickass showcase.. new albums on the way.. etc etc... not to mention is been almost a fucking year since i've seen my favourite band... aside from surprise me back in april, but that doesnt count... well, not that it doesnt count, but it wasnt the slip... you know what i mean... im gonna shut up now and wait to hear about it..............

ps: anyone thinking about Ithaca on the 27th? it's a thursday. BennyD you out there?

This post on The Slip's message board has some info, including a partial set list:

Soft Machine

Children of December

? possibly called I Hate Love

? "Baby your a free american child"

Poor Boy

A Little More Jill

? "I try to see the sky"

? (short instrumental)

Paper Birds

? "I can say hello, I can say goodbye, I can say please ..."

Sometimes True To Nothing

If One Of Us Should Fall

? (a cover I think, sounds very familiar)

Cowboy Up

Apparently there were lots of tapers out.

Aloha,

Brad

Great show, too short but every Slip show is. Nice size crowd, although too chatty in there which always seems to be a problem at Le Swimming. They sounded great glad, liked some of the new stuff, really glad we made it up for the show. Much thanks to our host Blane for putting up with us to the wee hours, and Lambert for doing all the driving while ill, thanks bros.

Okay you're all officially gay in the Eminem sense of the word. It's a day some odd later and all we've got is a partial setlist off the American board. Duh yeah, duh, they played a cover and I ya know I ya know dug it. It was like a song I remembered from summer camp when I kissed the jewish girl with the curly hair. You know that song. FUCK!

Next best thing baby.

I dont know nothing. Actually, the intro to Paper Birds is wicked. Oh yeah, and I love I Hate Love.

01. Soft Machine 9:28

02. Children of December 7:36

03. I Hate Love 7:49

04. Brazilian 5:30

05. Poor Boy 7:42

06. Even Rats 7:09

07. ? 4:55

08. Intro> 2:51

09. Paper Birds 11:04

10. ? 6:56

Disk 2

01. Sometimes True To Nothing 16:12

02. If One Of Us Should Fall 6:23

03. ? 4:20

04. Cowboy Up 9:05

Show was pretty great. I thought they had a great choice of songs and the new stuff was excellent. I loved the two unknown instrumental tracks, very cool.

I found the crowd there annoying as hell (as posted in another thread). I don't know what % of the drunken screamers are Montrealers and what % are up from out of town, but the Slip's shows seem to get a bad case of it. Hopefully as they establish themselves, they'll start playing venues here that are a bit more their style, where people are happy to listen closely to the music that's being played.

Okay you're all officially gay in the Eminem sense of the word. It's a day some odd later and all we've got is a partial setlist off the American board. Duh yeah, duh, they played a cover and I ya know I ya know dug it. It was like a song I remembered from summer camp when I kissed the jewish girl with the curly hair. You know that song. FUCK!

heh heh. good points indeed ;)

Beauty! Did Blane and/or Pete do a tape job as well?

I'm sorry to have missed this, I have so many good Slip and non-Slip memories in Montreal that it'd be hard for a show of theirs to ever suck in that glorious city.

Speaking of good memories y'all should download the 5/24/2003 show that's still available. I'm not one of those "they were better when they were jazzy" guys but this show is unbelievable...and you can hear the fire alarm going off during Hallelujah.

Really, truly, madly, deeply check this out:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=18345

That 5/24 show is one of the few Canadian shows of there's I've missed. The fact that they played Gemini is quite rare as is Sandman, I also think any show that opens with Planet Of Inexperience is going to be a doozy - I'd love to hear that tune come out again. My ex is convinced that one of Leonard Cohen's lover's ghosts set the fire having been stirred from the depths by Hallelujah.

ok Z.

I've got these really nice headphones on. I mean, I hit a button and they cancel outside noise. They also let me hear things I've never heard before. These headphones are just unbelievable. I know nothing about audio so it's a great surprise to hear things this way.

But...the pulse via vibrato, into and within Soft Machine, Brad's voice, the Harmonies.... up to this point I have had many chills and shivers. Each one...comfortable and welcomed.

I am going to probably get emotional in Burlington. I mean cry on the damn patch chords emotional ;)

Luke, did you download and listen to the show? Judge for yourself. I thought they were pretty hot, but others may have thought differently. Anyhow, it was a one-setter and part of a pop festival , so obviously it'll be a different vibe than the usual montreal throwdown, but the proof is in the pudding.

Bouche, did you compare the schoeps and at sources at all?

here's a heady slip report...

Hello Friends,

Despite a sparse tour schedule, we've been very busy for the last several months. We finished recording two records that should be available to you in the near future. A little about them:

First, the new Slip album, recorded over the last six months in Boston with the help of engineer and co-producer Matthew Ellard (Billy Bragg and Wilco, Elliot Smith, Morphine), has been shaped and shifted and added to and

subtracted from and chisled away at until a resounding "YES!" was shared by all. We are so happy and proud of it and can't wait for you to hear!! A release date has not been set, athough Spring of 2006 is looking most likely.

Second, Surprise Me Mr. Davis, our collaboration with ThaMuseMeant's Nathan

Moore, ventured into The Breakglass Studio in Montreal for a five day recording blitzkrieg in early September. Taking a pure analogue approach, we tracked some of our favorites from the last couple years, as well as a few new

ones. Its a supercharged electro-folk album, with many a tender moment. Very live and very raw, our hope is to soon release this on vinyl, thus entirely subverting the digital world. For now, though, we'll be carrying a bitchin'

five song EP for sale on the tour.

So that brings us to the Fall tours. Both bands will be out on the road in the upcoming months--The Slip hitting an array of East Coast cities and a couple West Coast stops, and Mr. Davis sliding down the West Coast......

Be good, boys and girls..........

THE SLIP

10/07........Mill Street Brews | Southbridge,MA

10/08........Southpaw | Brooklyn, NY +

10/19........Mercury Lounge | NYC

10/20........The Stone Church | Newmarket, NH

10/21........Higher Ground| Burlington, VT

10/22........O'Dwyers | Saratoga Springs, NY

10/27........Castaways | Ithaca, NY #

10/28........Pearl Street | Northampton, MA #

10/29........The Big Easy | Portland, ME #

11/02........Mercury Lounge | NYC

11/03........Eight by Ten Club | Baltimore, MD

11/11........Somerville Theatre | Somerville,MA

11/18........Independent | San Francisco, CA

11/21........Spaceland | LA, CA

+ w/ Tim Fite opening

# w/ Tarantula A.D. opening

SURPRISE ME MR. DAVIS

11/14........Triple Door | Seattle, WA

11/15........The Goodfoot Lounge | Portland, OR

11/16........The Mobius | Ashland, OR

11/17........Six Rivers Brewery |McKinleyville, CA

11/19........TBA | San Francisco Bay Area, CA

11/20........Moe's Alley | Santa Cruz, CA

11/22........Knitting Factory | LA, CA

11/23........Winston's | San Diego, CA

A big Thank You to our friend Meghan Ryan, who has faithfully contributed her

artwork to many Slip projects, including this email, or famous NYE 04-05 paper

bird graphic, and countless other things. You can check out her website at

http://www.notyourtype.com/.

Please check out

http://www.theslip.com/

and

http://theslip.com/calendar.php for

show info, including updates, directions, new music, and other cyber gimmickry

i'm seriously considering heading out to Seattle for that show on the 14th... Broken Social Scene plays Seattle on the 12th, w/ Feist, and i could do 'em both without burning any vacation days from work! i was looking into flights this morning and it looks feasible... now just to sleep on it for a day or 2 or 3...

I really enjoyed the show in Montreal... although I agree the crowd was way to chatty. My favorite song of the night had to be "I Hate Love".

Anyway, last weekend Brad played me a ton of songs from their new album and HOLY SHIT does it sound awesome. His voice sounds great on it and the arrangements are definitely extremely interesting. Nutty that it may not come out til 2006 though!

Off to NYC tonight for the Brooklyn show tomorrow. Looking fwd to a loonnnng Slippery show.

Anyway, last weekend Brad played me a ton of songs from their new album and HOLY SHIT does it sound awesome. His voice sounds great on it and the arrangements are definitely extremely interesting. Nutty that it may not come out til 2006 though!

you're killin' me here!!! :)

i hate love fuckin' rules.

Anyway' date=' last weekend Brad played me a ton of songs from their new album and HOLY SHIT does it sound awesome. His voice sounds great on it and the arrangements are definitely extremely interesting. Nutty that it may not come out til 2006 though!

[/quote']

you're killin' me here!!! :)

i hate love fuckin' rules.

Yeah I think we really need some more details! Brad played you a bunch of new songs?? Where were you? Hangin out on his couch? What's he saying? Do they hit the stage in Montreal at all on weeknights just to get out (ie at a open mic) or anything like that? Is it a permanent move? Are they collaborating or getting to know any other Montreal musicians? What I really want to know is, will they be hitting up Japan again in the next 11 months?