Jambands.ca

oil paint question

Hux

I can't answer your first question, SugarMegs, but I remember what Velvet did the time Studebacher Hoch decided to colour himself...

Velvet had been doing some tie-dying, and his cat got into the green dye. His white spots became green. Velvet, logically, figured that Studebacher wanted to be green, so he kept dying him with food colouring for quite a while after that. Perhaps your cat is also trying to send you the message that he wants to change colour? ;)

clean your brushes with soap and water and hang them to dry, you can also use varsol, but it stinks and not very good for you.

about the cat, give it a bath and hope for the best!

there is a brush cleaner that you can get at art stores that is a citrus oil solvent. it kicks ass and won't give you tumours :)

niffermouse gave up oil painting years ago on account of the solvent fumes...it's made by a company called eco-house, but i'm sure there are others.

hth...

[color:green]My friend is a painter and he told me that the best way to get oil paint off your brush is swish it around in a cup of paint-thinner than rinse it off. To store the brush, you should squeeze out most of the water and store it in the freezer. This stops your brush from drying out and going hard. When you need to use the brush, just run it under warm water to soften it up.

As for the cat, the best thing to do is just snip off the fur that has the paint, if it isn't too bad, the fur will grow back. Or just leave it and the cat will eventually shed that fur off.

don't ever use water rinsing oil paint out of your brushes.. you'll be swearing in the end and the brushes will be in the trash can.

if you've come to the conclusion that we're all going to get tumours take an old can, pour some paint thinner in the bottom and paint the bottom of the can back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. empty the paint thinner and repeat until the paint thinner in the can is clear. then and only then rinse with water. i normally pat dry any remaining moisture with a papertowel and put the brush in a ziploc bag. if you get all of the paint out of the brush before this, you shouldn't have a problem with hard bristles.

I've been a painter for close to twenty years and rarely use any oil based products anymore. On that note however, as far as the brush goes, the only thing that really works well are mineral spirits (e.g. paint thinner). It's nasty stuff that should be disposed of properly.

As far as your cat, I'd suggest your basic baby oil (especially for the nose or face).

peace