Jambands.ca

The Slip - Brad Barr odd story

kung

So I figure this is strange enough. I guess basically the gist is that I rode with the band from the Kingston requesta fiesta to Hamilton and got to play DJ the whole way. Which seems like fun but was majorly stressful as maybe three would like a song then one would hate the mixdown or the low end. I basically had my hard drive backed up on cdr and was clicking through the back catalogue playing mainly canadian music: loudon and rufus wainright, ron sexsmith, the band, a fair bit of indy hip hop like LA underground characters like Aceyalone and Haiku D'Etat. It was an almost famous moment with Ween's Band On The Run subbing for Tiny Dancer. They definitely dug this guy Dose One who is majorly eccentric and creative: Revenge of the Fern. Anyways they've got their bus setup almost identical to the Nero handicapped special except with two swivel captains chairs which I think are invariably for Marc on the left and Andrew on the right, their's probably a reason Brad made a point of explaining that I'd have to ride on the top bunk. Anyways by this point things are fairly comfortable in terms of personal rapport but their intense guys and they'll tell you what they think of them. Brad and I are on the top bunk and I was saying how I didn't put much stock in horoscopes, but that my Rob Brezny horoscope- which is syndicated in alternative weeklies across North America- was like 'hold your chin up your the sovereign ruler in your kingdom and don't be afraid to act like an emperor'. As you all know I don't need any more ego tripping so I was reading it down but it kind of might have accounted for the majestic but tragic week I was having. So Brad said something like that Brezny guy is good and how old are you when's your birthday. I tell him July 25, 1976 and he kind of shrugs it off and we go on to some other shit. So after a long sunny hazy day at this multicultural festival in Guelph, great barbecue, we're listening to the Ottawa show and my girlfriend goes 'you know his birthday is July 27'. No kidding checked his bio on the website July 27, 1976. 'I was lucky to be born in the summer of 1975 it was hot as an oven!!!!'

Archived