Jambands.ca

Swedish Reggae

StoneMtn

I work with a lawyer who has a Swedish exchange student staying with her family. Apparently his favourite disc is some home-grown reggae from his country.

Everyone here thinks I'm kidding, but I've been ranting that I must get a copy of this Swedish reggae disc. I mean ... come on! I used to think there was nothing funnier than a Hassidic Jew singing reggae. Now I've learned that the most caucasian of countries has some reggae-men.

I must get a hold of this disc; and I will.

old_and_in_the_way.jpg

Old & In the Way remains one of the shortest-lived but most revered bluegrass bands in history. Formed in 1973 by Grateful Dead lead guitarist Jerry Garcia as an outlet to revisit his banjo picking bluegrass roots. Old & In the Way featured David Grisman (mandolin/vocals), Peter Rowan (guitar/vocals), Vassar Clements (fiddle/vocals), and John Kahn (bass). Old & In the Wayís origins can be traced to Stinson Beach, California, where Garcia, Grisman, and Rowan were living at the time.

I used to think there was nothing funnier than a Hassidic Jew singing reggae.

No, a Hassidic Jew singing reggae makes perfect sense. Swedes, however... Sweet Jesus, all that comes to mind is dreaded Vikings (no pun intended) with the little horned helmets trying desperately not to sound like ABBA. :o