Jambands.ca

Clawless kitty chases bear up tree

StoneMtn

I swear, there's something about orange tabbies. Now, I really wish I still had Pumpkin, living out here in Whistler...

C B C . C A N e w s - F u l l S t o r y :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clawless kitty chases bear up tree

Last Updated Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:43:19 EDT

CBC News

Who needs a guard dog when Jack the elderly suburban housecat is on duty?

scaredbear-cp-1499159.jpg

This black bear clings to a backyard

tree after it was chased by a New Jersey cat.

(Suzanne Giovanetti/Associated Press)

The 10-year-old New Jersey tabby defended his neighbourhood turf earlier this week by chasing a wandering black bear up a tree — twice.

West Milford residents Suzanne and Jack Giovanetti first noticed a bear huddled in a tree in their backyard on Sunday afternoon.

Sitting beneath the tree: A seven-kilogram, orange-and-white, declawed neighbourhood cat named Jack.

The bear remained in the tree for about 15 minutes, frequently looking down at Jack.

When it slid down the tree and ran off, Jack was hot on its heels.

Cat is 'territorial'

Suzanne Giovanetti told the Star-Ledger of Newark that the cat was hissing at the bear as it gave chase.

The bear climbed up into a second tree until Jack's owner, Donna Dickey, called the cat home.

jackthecat-cp-1499158.jpg

Jack sits under the tree.

(Suzanne Giovanetti/Associated Press)

"The cat sauntered back toward the group, rubbing up against everyone," said the newspaper.

As soon as the cat left, the bear clambered down the tree and walked into the woods.

Dickey told the newspaper that Jack is territorial, frequently chasing small animals from their yard. She believes the cat may have mistaken the bear for the family's chocolate labrador retriever.

Giovanetti, who said she's never bonded with the neighbourhood cat, said she was always a little afraid of Jack.

"Now, I think I fear him more," she is quoted as saying.

Copyright ©2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Link

StoneMtn.....post a pic of this imfamous Pumkin, would, ya?

we had a gorgeous loooong haired orange tabby once upon time, named Cassidy.....a real "suck" though, nowhere near the ferociousness of Pumpkin.....but boy the adventures she had in her day (lost, found in Gatineau, lost again, found in a pile of dirty tires, re-united with her true-love Dave [she really had very little patience for me], babysat for a year whilst we galavanted about SE Asia, re-united with Dave to lick the skin clean off his forearms, and to spend quality time in sinks [can anyone find the "cat in a Sink website again???]