Jambands.ca

Tree-sitting Darryl Hannah arrested

StoneMtn

Tree-sitting Darryl Hannah arrested

13-Jun-2006

Written by: Kevin Manahan

In their protest against the removal of an urban community garden, Hannah and 40 others were arrested.

14 acres of privately owned land, located in an inner-city section of Los Angeles, was used by about 350 farmers for growing produce and flowers for over 10 years. Now landowner Ralph Horowitz wants to build a warehouse over it.

Deputies arrived at the garden Tuesday morning to evict the property, facing dozens of protestors shouting, "We're here and we're not going to leave!"

Among the protestors was Daryl Hannah, who was sitting in the tree she had been living in for the past three weeks to show her support.

"I'm very confident this is the morally right thing to do, to take a principled stand in solidarity with the farmers," Hannah said.

Other celebrities supporting the farmers over the past weeks were Willie Nelson and Danny Glover.

Horowitz said that the farmers were squatting on land that cost him over $25,000 a month for mortgage, among other expenses.

"We've made, in the last three years, enough of a donation to those farmers," he said. "I just want my land back."

Link

Edit to add:

Actually, this article provides more details.

Edited by Guest

Al Gore is on CNN explaining that Nasa's top scientists figure we have maybe 10 years to significantly alter humanity's global lifestyle or else face the uncontrolable deterioration of the ecosystem which will result in hundreds of millions of refugees at first and possibly even our eventual extinction

Steven Hawking was on the news earlier saying that humanity should be moving into space because continued existence based solely on earth is becoming mathematically improbable

I think we should all be sitting up in a tree... god bless Darryl Hannah for making the option look sexier than ever (she was actually on the one episode of the CoolFuel Roadshow I saw... has herself setup in a very earth friendly home and lives very humbly, all things considered)

its a very nice gesture on her part... we had some people tree sit here in town last year for like 5 months trying to save a beautiful valley's destruction (one full of flying squirrels and deer and many of my most magical childhood memories) in lieu of another big road to nowhere... a lot of the general sentiment was "somebody should shoot those mentally unstable criminals who're only out to steal our tax money and disrupt our system of law and order"

Darryl peeing in a bucket for a few weeks adds some weight to the plights of other conscientious citizens standing up for their beliefs... good on her, along with bein cool on the general