Jambands.ca

State of Emergency Declared - Galiano Island

StoneMtn

Fire crews battle Galiano Island blaze

Last Updated: Monday, July 24, 2006 | 4:59 AM PT

CBC News

Helicopters and air tankers are battling a large fire on one of British Columbia's Gulf Islands after flames broke out Sunday at the site of an abandoned gravel pit.

Fire officials say there are houses near the fire on Galiano Island, but none are in danger.

About 117 people fled their homes as a precaution after the fire erupted late Sunday afternoon.

Fire information officer Sue Croft said the blaze has covered about 10 hectares so far.

"Very gusty winds have moved the fire around a fair bit," said Croft.

Two helicopters and three air tankers have been sent to the island, which is located in Georgia Strait between Victoria and Vancouver.

Firefighters from three local fire departments are also fighting the blaze.

About 1,000 residents and hundreds of tourists are on Galiano Island.

It's unclear what caused the fire.

Link

I forgot to mention that I've been carting huge loads of Eddy Lite matches into that abandoned gravel pit for the last few years; for storage. I figure there must be 10 or 12 tonnes in there by now. I plan to go back for them when I need them.

Hmmmm. I sure hope my matches are okay.

Well, to allay some of your concerns, Huli, things sound like they're settling down.

They now have forest-fire-fighting crews on the Island, who are being assisted by the Island's two volunteer fire departments. They absolutely expect to have this under control by this afternoon.

That said, if they're wrong there will be more evacuations by later today...

So, the fire continues to burn; somewhat out of control. Last night there was almost no wind on the island, so they made some good headway, but the fire is not yet under control.

They're figuring at least a week from now before evacuees on the island will be allowed to return to their homes.

Things are looking positive, though.