Jambands.ca

The Derek Trucks Band?

djmelbatoast

I'm thinking of driving to Victoria to check these guys out tomorrow. I have the cd Songlines and while I like the album I think the singer is horrible. i'm wondering what there live show is like. I would assume that it is heavy on the instrumental/jamming and light on the cheesy singing.

Am I correct?

Should I go?

As far as I can see, The Derek Trucks Band plays SATURDAY night (June 30th) on the Main Stage at Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto. Sunday they appear to be in Iowa.

And The Derek Trucks Band - omg, they're one of my absolute favourite bands - I love these guys so much! But don't go expecting Derek to rip through Allman Brothers tunes or even standard blues numbers. DTB are more schooled and influenced by the great jazz artists, like Coltrane, and Indian classical artists, say like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (but don't quote me on that one), with of course a nod to the great blues artists, like Paul Pena (writer of "Gonna Move" and "Jet Airliner". They fuse styles with a brilliant display of artistry and soul, and each member of the band is a virtuoso in their own right. I wouldn't miss DTB if I could help it!!

Just my 0.2 cents :)

Last night It was affirmed that I, in fact, wasted my hard-earned money on a fucking Derek Trucks Ticket.

I can't deny the band is good and I can't deny that there's virtuosity, but when I go to a packed show I expect it to be lively.

What a lame vibe, lame crowd, and lack of push from a band that gets theatres rocking all over the USA.

It took Susan Tedeschi to step it up and get the crowd to really cheer. She saved the show and got my attention back.

I have to give it to Derek for pulling off a hot 'My Favorite Things' but other than that, I have to say the burrito on my way home was worth the entire night's aggravation.

When a burrito is better than a $40 concert then it's safe to say I should have just eaten a burrito and watched a movie.

Derek Trucks Band - awesome?

Definitely on par with Ben Harper.