Jambands.ca

04/29 - Dr. Dog @ Zaphods (looking for opener)

revolutionrock

hey all,

we have Dr. Dog in at Zaphods Sunday April 29. I figure this band would be of interest to the jam community. They're booked by the same agents as moe., Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cold War Kids, Apollo Sunshine and the type of band that could share a stage with Broken Social Scene or Of Montreal and fit in nicely.

(Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a local Ottawa band to play with them let me know - shawn@revolutionrock.ca)

Sunday April 29

Dr. Dog

and more

Zaphod Beeblebrox

19+/8pm/$10

tickets on sale now at End Hits, Vertigo and www.ticketweb.ca

Philadelphia indie pop act Dr. Dog are part of a long tradition of D.I.Y. pop oddballs who blend unapologetic '60s pop worship with lo-fi recording techniques and a complete disregard of current trends. R. Stevie Moore's quirky eclecticism is one obvious touchstone, as is their love of the straightforward pop hooks and tape hiss of Guided by Voices, Pavement's willfully fractured song structures, and the playful experimentalism of the Olivia Tremor Control and the Apples in Stereo.

Dr. Dog began as a part-time offshoot of the more traditional Philadelphia indie rockers Raccoon, whose guitarist Toby Leaman and drummer Scott McMicken recorded the casual, sprawling 35-track set The Psychedelic Swamp as a duo in a basement rehearsal space over the course of several years, finally self-releasing it in 2001. As Raccoon ended, McMicken and Leaman transformed Dr. Dog into a proper band, with McMicken on guitar and Leaman on bass (the two share songwriting and vocals), plus guitarist Doug O'Donnell, keyboard player Zach Miller, and drummer Juston Stens. This lineup recorded 2003's more focused and poppy Toothbrush, which like The Psychedelic Swamp received a low-key, self-distributed release.

When My Morning Jacket's Jim James, a friend of Leaman and McMicken from their Raccoon days, hand-picked Dr. Dog to open for his band on an East coast tour supporting their first major-label album, It Still Moves, the band's almost non-existent national profile began to rise. With O'Donnell replaced by former Raccoon bassist Andrew Jones and featuring Broken Social Scene-style guest spots from various Philadelphia friends, 2005's Easy Beat was picked up for distribution by the indie label National Parking. Following its release, the band toured again with My Morning Jacket and M. Ward and performed several well-received sets during the 2006 South by Southwest Festival in Austin. ~ Stewart Mason, All Music Guide...

http://www.myspace.com/drdog

http://www.drdogmusic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Dog