Jambands.ca

Homestyle w/ Stairwell K tonight!!

doubleB

Nugget Productions presents

Homestyle w/ Stairwell K

TONIGHT!!!

The Bayou 1071 Bank St.

Homestyle's eclectic, and adventurous exploration of jazz roots, combined with heavy funk overtones make every performance undeniably soulful and funky, all the while tipping their collective hats to the freedom explored by musicians such as Eddie Harris, Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley . Every show is a show not to be missed. Homestyle's first show since the nero Christmas bash.

That was my first time seeing either band. Stairwell K is a hidden treasure. I really enjoyed their sound, and the back of the singer's head (I think he's a bit stage shy, but what a great vocal delivery). The only thing that bothered me a bit, was that they would get into this amazing funky, groove (like REALLY funky), and then end the jam. I could easily have been taken away with their grooves, if they nurtured them, and extended them. I would see them again though, but their music is much like the female orgasm, it feels really good, but it never reaches the trance of climax.

Homestyle was interesting as well. It's rare to see three saxes in one band, combined with (what should I call this guy? I don't know if this is right or not but here goes) a sampling dude? This dude (IMO) didn't add very much to the sound, although I believe he was experincing some technical difficulties. I felt that the sound lacked heart, it's like they weren't enjoying themselves at all (although I can relate to how alienated one feels on the Bayou stage). I found that my need to dance was sort of forced. I much prefer it when the music compels me to move. Perhaps I was still gripped by BNB the previous night, and I probably was more tired and intoxicated than usual. Thanks B for putting the show on. We missed all of you that were in Montreal for BNB. I hope you all had fun (no doubt).