Jambands.ca

Calgary LOVED Spearhead...

SolarGarlic

SO its the Calgary Folk Festival...... http://www.calgaryfolkfest.com/01/html/schedule.html (for line-up)

I only went yesterday and had an amazing time. The festival brought out the best in Calgary and its people. To me, Calgary is a bit of an uncool, business-as-usual kind of a place; Lots of suits and enough big business to make you sick. This weekend was different.

Lots of good vibes, friendly people and great music. The highlight for me (and many others) last night was the performance orchestrated by Michael Franti and Spearhead. I had a chance to see him and some bandmates participate in a workshop earlier that day and was becoming very excited for what the night would bring.

As the acts on the main stage did their thing, the crowd just kind sat around, applauding where appropriate. Not to take anything from the other musicians b/c they were all VERY good. However, when Franti and company took the stage everything changed. He worked the place into a frenzy! EVERYONE was on their feet, clapping, singing, dancing and generally freaking out. Old and young alike, the folks at the folkfest were loving Spearhead.

To me, it was very refreshing to see this sort of excitement for something new. Im sure that there were some Spearhead fans present already, but after that performance, there were a lot more. Poor Harry Manx had to come on as the tweeter music and then Jesse Cook came out for the final set of the night. Poor buggers. Great musicians in their own right but just didn't come close to the energy created by Spearhead. Wow, that WAS GOOD!

i'm a little bit jealous man! i went to the folk fest last summer when i was living in lake louise, and it was FUN!!! probably the best day i had all summer. those workshops are pretty cool eh! thanks for bringing back some sweet memories.