Jambands.ca

I love when this stuff happens.

SevenSeasJim

Second printing ordered for Ottawa scientist's 'Hotter Than Hell'

A small New Brunswick publishing house has a bestseller on its hands, after the author was discouraged from attending a promotional event by the federal government.

Dream Catcher Publishing has ordered a second print run of 'Hotter than Hell.' (Courtesy Dream Catcher Publishing)

Demand for Hotter Than Hell, the obscure debut novel from Ottawa scientist Mark Tushingham, has forced DreamCatcher Publishing of Saint John, N.B., to order a second printing of the book.

"Things have just gone crazy," publisher Elizabeth Margaris told CBC News.

"I guess you could say they're hotter than hell."

Late last year, Margaris published Tushingham's fictional book, set in the not-so-distant future and dealing with the effects of global warming and a Canada-U.S. battle over fresh water.

The title had received little notice and minor sales until an incident in Ottawa earlier this month.

Margaris had organized a luncheon on April 17 in Ottawa, where Tushingham lives and works, in an attempt to spark interest in the book.

Tushingham was scheduled to attend the luncheon and speak about the science behind his book. However, he cancelled after receiving an order from the office of Environment Minister Rona Ambrose cautioning him against the appearance.

A spokesperson for Ambrose later said that the speech was billed as coming from an Environment Canada scientist and even though Tushingham's book is a work of fiction, he would have appeared to be speaking in an official capacity.

The publisher says Tushingham was described only as an Ottawa scientist.

Tushingham has also cancelled some TV and radio interviews about the book.

Carl Senna, who edited Hotter Than Hell, said he was outraged by the situation.

"It's absurd. It's like the kind of thing that happens in dictatorial countries where freedom of thought doesn't exist, freedom of speech doesn't exist, freedom of expression doesn't exist," he said.

Despite no word from Tushingham, the controversy has been a boon for the Saint John publishing house. Margaris is still giving national interviews about the book and has ordered a second printing to keep up with sudden demand.

"This is excellent," Margaris said. "I couldn't have wished for anything better, so it's turning out to be a very good thing."

Original Story

This book got way more attention now than it ever would have otherwise, not a bad consequence, and since it's fiction, he couldn't get any better plublicity... I think that if it was discussed under the banner of the Canadian flag it wouldn't of recived as much attention as it recives now.

Still, the reason why he wasn't allowed to present under the banner of Canada, is because it's a fictional work... perhaps you should look at what the scientists are saying around Canada... and Harper hasn't muzzled them at official press releases. And trust me... Global Warming... WE KNOW!!!

The Stone Age didn't end cause we ran outta stone. REVOLUTIONIZE man... and also look up the word "Efficency" it'll help you recognize everytime it is said by the Harper administration.