Jambands.ca

Freddy Mercury Google Doodle - happybday

Kanada Kev

Enjoyed watching today's Google Doodle in honour of Freddy Mercury's bday:

The latest Google Doodle, which went live for some on September 4, pays tribute to Freddie Mercury, who would have celebrated his 65th birthday on September 5.

In June, Google wowed the web with their interactive tribute to master guitarist Les Paul and inspired countless Google guitar tutorials.

This time around, they've honored the rock band Queen's lead vocalist, who battled HIV for years before dying on November 24th, 1991 at the age of 45.

A video, which appears over the Google logo, features an animated tribute to Mercury, highlighting Queen's 1978 hit "Don't Stop Me Now."

Queen guitarist and songwriter Brian May wrote a post about Freddie Mercury for the Google Blog.

From May's post:

"Freddie would have been 65 this year, and even though physically he is not here, his presence seems more potent than ever. Freddie made the last person at the back of the furthest stand in a stadium feel that he was connected. He gave people proof that a man could achieve his dreams—made them feel that through him they were overcoming their own shyness, and becoming the powerful figure of their ambitions. And he lived life to the full. He devoured life. He celebrated every minute. And, like a great comet, he left a luminous trail which will sparkle for many a generation to come."

The song lyrics featured in the Google Doodle seem to echo May's thoughts:

"I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky/Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity/I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva/I'm gonna go go go there's no stopping me"