Jambands.ca

Phish drummer leads workshop for Burlington studen

Groove Fetish

Phish drummer leads workshop for Burlington students

August 7, 2004 - Associated Press

By Sally Pollak

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - The kids from the rock 'n' roll camp ambled to their seats for a music workshop. It was time to stop playing Foosball and start the drum workshop.

But before the drummer could get started, he needed a little assistance: He had to borrow a set of sticks from a kid named Tyler.

Jon Fishman, the drummer for Phish, arrived empty-handed -- but with much to offer the teenagers who attended the weeklong 242 Main Rock Camp last month.

He brought rock wisdom, a generous spirit, good humor and his playing chops. He

told the kids that Led Zeppelin is the reason he started playing drums and

that he'll always be a musician -- even if he's raising alpacas and growing organic vegetables.

When the kids requested that Fishman play a solo, he noted that he had never played one in his 20 years with Phish. Then, with Tyler's sticks in his hands and a salsa beat in his feet, Fishman played a loose and inspired solo that drew yelps and raves from the young crowd.

"I think that might've been the best drum solo I've ever played in front of people," Fishman said later. "I really had fun doing that."

Fishman's workshop came on the last day of the camp, which is offered by Burlington Parks and Recreation. Some of Fishman's friends, musicians he has known since he got to Burlington, helped organize the camp and work at it.

Last year, Fishman wrote a letter on the camp's behalf to help it get a grant from a

philanthropic group that was founded by Phish fans. The organization, the

Mockingbird Foundation, raises money for music programs through downloads of Phish

concerts.

This year, Fishman was in town and said he'd be glad to come by and give a kind of master class. "Everything was winding down," he said, referring to Phish's last show next month in Coventry. "It just sort of dovetailed nicely into doing this."

He devoted most of his hour to an impromptu clinic on improvisation. First, he introduced himself to the 40 or so kids in attendance.

"I'm Jon Fishman," he said. "I'm the drummer in Phish. Some of you probably love our band. Some of you probably hate our band. Some of you probably don't even know we exist. In fact, in a couple of weeks, we won't exist."

Then he put together a quick foursome, a group that called itself the Korey Drewniak Theory (named for the singer). Fishman shared with the students the two most important elements of improvising:

"Listen to each other as if you're having a conversation," he said. "And when in doubt, simplify. Even if it's 'Mary Had a Little Lamb,' make it basic."

Then he laid down a rock beat and, perhaps inspired by the nursery-rhyme theme, Korey was soon singing a rock variation of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

Two more improvisational groups were formed. Fishman offered to give up the drums, saying he didn't "mean to hog the drum set." There were no takers. And no one shouted out a name when Fishman was looking for one for the third band (the second group was Moldy Cheese). So Fishman suggested "George Bush

Sucks"-- a name that was wildly popular. When the "yeahs!" and "hoorays!"

died down, Fishman told the teens: "If any of you are 18 and not registered to vote,

please get out and register."

Kevin Marx, 15, of Colchester, who played guitar in GBS, said he was really nervous. "The fingerboard was caked with sweat," he said. "I couldn't do anything."

For Sam Bombard, 12, of St. Albans, improvising with Fishman was fun.

"I just had to think of stuff as I went along," said Sam, a bass player. "People who understand music would understand that you have to make it up."

After the jam bands played, the kids asked Fishman some questions.

One boy wanted to know how long he's played drums. Fishman did the math out loud: He started playing at 7; now he's 39.

"I've been drumming for 32 years," he said. "Good God. I ought to be better by now."