Jambands.ca

A sweet band called Eccodek is playing PJC Friday.

kc

I really liked these guys last time they played in the spring. Wasn't a great turnout, but I felt they were worth bringing back. The Line up consists of a drummer, bass player, sax player, conga man, and 2 keyboardists.

Opening will be a local electronics duo called Hypnoteck 3.

If you have the time check out the website www.eccodek.com for some music samples. Also www.futursonic.com

Cover will be $6.00 Showtime 10pm

Again, Eccodek, Hypnoteck 3

Friday Oct. 1st

Pepper Jack Cafe

38 King William, Hamilton

(905)525-6666

Here's a article from eye mag last year.

ECCODEK

More Africa in Us Independent

BY ERROL NAZARETH

If not for an old girlfriend, Andrew McPherson might not have cooked up More Africa in Us, one of the most outstanding contemporary dub albums to come out of this country. A couple of years ago she handed him Prince's Black Album. The subtext of her kind and gentle move, he says, was, "This is body music, not head music."

"I'm a classically trained musician," McPherson says from his home in Guelph. "That's a curse and a blessing in that it took me a long while to stop viewing music as an academic experience and to start letting it wash over my senses. I got into great artists like D'Angelo and these other guys who are fantastic writers and composers, but who make deep, dirty and sexy music that really hits you."

Inspired by them as he was by dub scientists like Bill Laswell and Adrian Sherwood, McPherson began crafting music that he felt would engage the heart, head and body.

On the disc's back cover, More Africa in Us is described as "a dub mix of African vocals, Eastern melodies and hypnotic grooves," but it is even more than that. In fact, whoever came up with that blurb does a disservice to McPherson and his crew, who go under the cool name eccodek. Not only does it read like something that an overzealous publicist would come up with, but it sets off red lights for those of us who are a little weary of African vocals and Eastern melodies being hijacked by people who aren't from Africa or the East.... more