Jambands.ca

Americans say sorry to Cat Stevens...

h

ROME (Reuters) - Yusuf Islam, the pop star formerly known as Cat Stevens, says he has received "more apologies than you can count" from Americans embarrassed after their government deported him over potential terrorism links.

In an interview with Reuters on Wednesday before he received a peace award from a group of Nobel Prize winners, Islam said he would be making more music soon but did not think September's episode would figure in the new songs.

Islam, who changed his name after converting to Islam in the 1970s, was traveling on a commercial plane from London to Washington when it was diverted to Bangor, Maine.

U.S. Homeland Security said he was deported after his name turned up on U.S. "no fly" lists because of activities they said could be potentially linked to terrorism.

"I have got more apologies from Americans since that time than you can count," he said in the interview in a frescoed waiting room of Rome's city hall as Nobel laureates gathered.

"So, I'm quite satisfied with the spirit of most people and probably it was a mistake. But let's hope it will be solved soon. The lawyers are looking into it," he said.

The softly spoken Islam, 57, asked that the interview be interrupted for a moment when former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev entered the room to greet him.

In a public ceremony later, Gorbachev and other Nobel Peace Prize winners attending a fifth annual gathering of laureates gave Islam their 2004 "Man for Peace" award.

The citation commended Islam "for having condemned terrorism" and contributing to charities that helped victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.

NO HARD FEELINGS

Asked if he saw the award as vindication after his deportation two months ago, Islam said: "It is a useful antidote, a useful message at this moment to underline who I am."

The deportation angered Muslims in Britain and the United States. British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw raised the issue with Secretary of State Colin Powell.

Born Steven Demeter Georgiou in July 1947 to a Swedish mother and a Greek Cypriot father, he changed his name to Cat Stevens when he entered the music world.

He had a string of hits in the early 1970s including "Peace Train," "Moonshadow," "Morning has Broken," and "Wild World" before converting to Islam in 1977.

Islam said the binding powers of religions were essential in a post 9/11 world.

"Probably one of the biggest imperatives at this time would be for a greater understanding of the Islamic faith because of the tensions which have built up over the years due to the absence of any accurate information of where true beliefs unite humanity rather than divide," he said.

"I broke through many barriers in order to get through to Islam, and looking back I can see that there are problems in perception.

"But once you reach the great shores of wisdom there are so many beautiful approaches to the one uniting message of religions, which is peace and loving your brother, who you love as yourself," he added.

Islam, who cut his last pop album in 1978, said he was ready to write more songs to promote peace.

"Music is also a great cure and a great healer and I think the time has come probably to re-invest some more time in exploring my creative ideas and that's what i'm doing right now," he said.

"I've got a little tape recorder in my top pocket and I keep it with me. Ideas are flowing."

2004-11-10T120410Z_01_GALAXY-DC-MDF752584_RTRIDSP_2_PEOPLE-PEOPLE-ITALY-STEVENS-DC.JPG

Muslim convert and former pop star Britain's Cat Stevens, known as Yusuf Islam, smiles as he receives the Man For Peace award in Rome November 10, 2004. The award was presented at the opening of the fifth World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates organized by the Gorbachev Foundation and the city of Rome. Photo by Alessia Pierdomenico/Reuters