Jambands.ca

New library for firebombed Montreal School

Boochawan

From Yahoo! news...

NELSON WYATT

MONTREAL (CP) - Excited children got their first look Tuesday at the new United Talmud Torahs elementary school library, rebuilt with an outpouring of international support after it was firebombed eight months ago.

A bigger space and about 13,000 books - many of them donated from across Canada, the United States and Israel - stood on gleaming new shelves in the library that was left a smouldering ruin by an arsonist last April. Eager little fingers thumbed the wide range of titles and curious eyes scanned the volumes for a good pick as staff prepared for the official opening Tuesday night.

"I'm actually a big fan of Harry Potter (news - web sites)," said Daniel Cohen, 11. "I was really amazed to see a huge Harry Potter book.

"I was very surprised to see all kinds of different books that were on display and I never knew about. I look forward to reading those books, too."

The youngster's enthusiasm was a far cry from the worried faces that gathered outside the school, which had anti-Semitic slogans written on one of its walls, after the fire.

The incident provoked outrage and support from such people as Prime Minister Paul Martin and Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe, who gave an undisclosed amount to get the library back on its feet.

The fire was the highest profile of a series of anti-Semitic incidents in Canada at the time and led to calls for even greater efforts against hate crimes.

Sleiman Elmerhebi, 19, and his mother Rouba Elmerhebi Faud, 36, are back in court Dec. 16 on charges of arson and conspiracy in the firebombing of the school.