Jambands.ca

neuroreplete

meggo

anyone heard of this stuff? apparently it is a natural supplement which helps balance out neurotransmitter chemicals (i.e. seratonin). a friend of mine who has had problems with depression and depression-related symptoms like moodiness and sleeping problems was given this by his doctor, he wasn't interested in taking any of the anti-depressant drugs; he has had awesome results after two weeks of taking it. i am always a bit skeptical about these things, it sounds like a miracle, and just wondering if anyone else has heard of these?

edit to add: i believe it is made of amino acids. website is here: www.neuroreplete.com

Meggo,

I checked out the site for a few seconds (literally) and didn't see the list of ingredients. I noticed that it is an American product. The fact that Health Canada even allows it in the country is a good sign.

Amino acids (such as L-Tyrosine, 5-HTP, GABA & arginine) can be extremely beneficial in dealing with depression brought on by stress, anxiety and the complexity of everyday life. Tyrosine is especially helpful with sleeping disorders as well. Your friend is definitely doing the right thing by trying to avoid Paxill and other such drugs. As long as he has a trusting relationship with his doctor, I wouldn't worry too much. It's nice to hear that there are those in the medical profession who aren't overly eager to prescribe pharmaceuticals.

The one thing I would suggest is to ensure that he is properly diagnosed. There is a major difference between depression and manic depression. While natural alternatives are a safer way to go, using the wrong supplement (or "blanket" suplement) can have adverse effects. These "amazing results" you mentioned do make me skeptical as well. I've been reading a lot about the liver lately (gotta brush up on that old thing from time to time). Your liver has the ability to take the amino acids that you have an excess of and convert them in to some (not all) aminos that are depleted. Isn't that awesome? If he eats properly and takes care of his insides he'll be a big step ahead of the game. Eating things like kamut (alternative grain made into breads, cereals, etc.) is a good idea. It contains all 8 essential amino acids.

Asparagus, I'd love to hear you spout science as well.