Jambands.ca

The Ladies & Gentlemen (previously: Les Sequelles? --- show review)

DevO

A band from Montreal called Les Sequelles are playing tonight in the Blue Room in Peterborough.. I was wondering if any of you have heard 'em or seen 'em before?? Apparently their sound is described as 60's freakbeat pop (?). Also on the bill is a band called Ladies & Gentlemen. AND Wayne from Cuff The Duke.

ps - moose, boogie, youz guys want to check this out perhaps?

Edited by Guest
changed name of thread

Well, interesting show last night!

The Ladies & Gentlemen

Wayne from Cuff The Duke (solo set)

Les Sequelles

--- @ The Blue Room, Peterborough.

I love those nights when a band who you've never heard of and have no expectations for whatsoever proceed to blow you away. Last night, The Ladies & Gentlemen opened and completely stole this show! This band was really high energy sorta synth indie pop rock a rama. All male quintet with lots of vocal harmony and there was clapping involved. Took me by surprise and I can't wait to see 'em again! They're new, and don't have a cd yet. Check out more here:

The Ladies & Gentlemen

Wayne's solo set was also really good - lots of new tunes, some of which will be on the upcoming new CTD cd. He seemed to have a throng of drunken groupies there too see him, which was good cuz they definitely livened up his show and stage presence. The Ladies & Gentlemen joined Wayne for the last song.

Les Sequelles on the other hand... Well I only stayed for the first few songs. But those openers proved to be tough acts to follow and the energy that Les Sequelles were putting out was no match. (Also the smoke in The Blue Room is pretty disgusting after a while).

City Lights poutine to top off the night -- couldn't ask for much more than that. :)

Here's some quotes about The Ladies & Gentlemen from critics:

"Their unassuming anthems - think Pavement's slacker soul plugged into a bank of Korgs - demand extra attention to the small details: subtle synth melodies, well-timed handclaps, maraca shakes, four-way "oohs" and "aahs.""

- Eye Weekly -

"The best Canadian band you've never heard of ... The Toronto quintet fronted by former Carnations member Thom D'Arcy is described ... as "Canada's answer to Grandaddy" ... The sound is closer to XTC channelling Beautiful South through Flaming Lips ... From its matching whites - Fruit of the Loom tees and polyester deckhand slacks straight off Love Boat - to a potentially lethal handclap fetish, this unit's live show is all fun, all the time."

- The Province -

"We saw the future of rock n' roll. It is the Ladies and Gentlemen."

- PopWherry on SXSW -

"Former Carnations member, Thom D'arcy, brings along his new project The Ladies and Gentlemen, complete with circling keyboards fills, almost whispered vocals and a chorus which doesn't leave your head."

- Columbia Journal -

"The Ladies and Gentlemen, formed by former Carnations member Thom D'Arcy, is shaping up to be Canada's answer to Grandaddy, with the same gentle melodies, electronic touches, and charmingly lugubrious singing as the California band, and the sweet "Stay" instantly makes them one of the Canadian bands to watch for in early 2005."

- PopMatters.com -