Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday Roger McGuinn (b. 7/13/1942)

TimmyB

Happy 63rd Birthday Roger,

May you have many, many more in health and happiness.

Tim

I saw Roger McGuinn this year on April 22nd. Preping for the show listening to all of the albums I have of his, I noticed that "Chimes of Freedom" was recorded by the Byrds on April 22, 1965. So the gig that I was attending was actually the 40th anniversary of the recording of the Dylan song by the Byrds.

Before the gig I told Roger's wife Camilla McGuinn at the CD table of the anniversary and she said she would let Roger know. I also requested if Roger could perform "King of the Hill," the McGuinn/Tom Petty song that appeared on his 'Back From Rio' comeback album in the early nineties. As I love the song and Roger didn't perform the song the last time I saw him live. Camilla nicely replied that Roger takes care to sort out his set, which seemed like a nice way to say that he doesn't take requests.

During the gig, Roger did do "King of the Hill," which I took as a coincidence. But in the encore Roger introduced the next song by saying "It was brought to my attention that I recorded this next song with a few people in a small studio, forty years ago to the day." McGuinn then performed "Chimes of Freedom." Which made me think that Camilla also asked him to perform "King of the Hill" for me as well. It was a great night and I hope to see Roger again one day soon.

Tim

From www.billboard.com

THIS DAY IN MUSIC For July 13, 2005.

1942 - Roger McGuinn of the Byrds is born in Chicago. The group have two No. 1 songs in 1965: "Mr. Tambourine Man" (one week) and "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)" (three weeks).