Jambands.ca

Fieldnotes: DD in Cambridge

Floyd

We decided to do something a little different this weekend in anticipation for our gig at the Cambridge Arts Festival on Saturday. We had a pre-gig practice at Ike's place in the afternoon to warm up a little before the show. Went over a few "old-new" tunes, a few new covers as well as a few new tunes to bring out for future shows. Tonin and Tungsten came over and we talked about our newest release "Live At The Lanc", which is now available (see Ike's post to get it, or go to the main page) for everyone to dowload for FREE. IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!. Big thanks to Tungsten for spending so much time on it. I'm sure everyone will appreciate (??) your hard work on this project. PLEASE, for anyone that downloads this, let us know your feedback, we want to know what you think.

There is an old building foundation by the Grand River in Galt that the city has turned into a small outdoor amphlitheatre and that is where the bands play for the Cambridge Arts Festival. It's a great place to play and the sound is excellent. The evening bill consisted of Suzan, Greg Upshaw and the Ulterior Motives (Ike and Ricky play in Greg's band) and Diesel Dog. I'm good friends with Greg so he asked both Ryan and I if we would jam a few towards the end of his set. We were both happy to oblige. The crowd was alright (40 or 50 people of various ages and musical types) considering that most of the activity was in the day, and there was no rain (like last year) so we took the stage hoping to keep the interest of the crowd for 40 minutes or so. We played only five songs (there were a few extended jams) and the setlist went like this:

All

Fishin' With The Skipper

Ophelia

Second Thoughts

Chico

Most of the crowd stayed with us (even the oldies!!) and we were pretty tight considering the jam before hand. Not the greatest show we have ever played but it was kind of fun to look out and see people that have never heard of Diesel Dog enjoying the sounds we were making. We shut down at 10 just before the bugs that were attracted by the stage lights became unbearable. Another one for the record books.

Upcoming: After much hum and haw I have decided to ditch work (smile now showwhore and esau) and get to the PJC show this Friday in Hamilton. It is shaping up to be spectacular with Mark Wilson, Rose Garland and Diesel Dog. A triple bill of fun!! I encourage everyone to come and help us out to make it a funky good time.

I also regret to tell you that I won't be playing with the boys at the July CTMF. I will be at Mags family reunion and won't be able to make it. But make no mistake, Friday night in the salloon WILL ROCK. Catch Diesel Dog late-night/early morning for all your jamming needs. Have a good show boys, don't pick up any skanky percussionists while I'm away! (one is enough)

See you all Friday!!

Floyd

Archived