Jambands.ca

Insightful BSS interview with Justin and Whiteman

zero

I can't think of two better ambassadors for the Scene than Peroff and Whiteman, I really like these guys in person although Whiteman I really can't get a bead on largely because I think he was born a couple of centuries too late or variously died of syphillis a couple centuries ago and was only recently reincarnated as a guitar slinger (he was as I understand it formerly a rug merchant).

Here's the interview. There's some really great stuff about collaboration, production, alternate mixes, stage and personal dynamics. Somewhat surprisingly Justin even bold faced says that Dave Newfeld botched the Superconnected mix or at least that he had another perfect version he didn't use. I really like Justin and Andrew's rapport back and forth and it illuminates a great deal I'd say.

Andrew: I don’t really ever listen to the record. I like the vibe of it though. I think it’s an accurate vibe. I’d like it more if I wasn’t in BSS. Newf could’ve stopped two months before he stopped. The mood of the record is completely accurate. I like to compare it to after Sly and the Family Stone put out all their greatest hits, after two or three years of celebration songs, “Hot Fun in the Summertime†etc. Then he puts out There’s a Riot Going On which is dark, paranoid, claustrophobic, and creepy. I think it’s his best record and that’s what Broken Social Scene is like to me. That part I really appreciate. But you couldn’t mix those vibes out of the record if you tried.