Jambands.ca

Antibalas - Victoria

Thumpin

Hey all, saw these guys last night in an outdoor venue (Market Square for those familar with Victoria) I had to come here and say that if you haven't seen them yet get thyself to a show ASAP. Being an outdoor venue it was hard to blow the roof off the place, but they did everyone the favour of building one above us, just so they could. Unbelievable show, I haven't danced that hard in a while. The way that band wove African rhythms with driving funk guaranteed that everyone in the place was dancing from the first note till the last. When they finished their second set the crowd erupted into one of the longest and loudest demands for an encore that I've been a part of, and when they got back on stage and offered up another twenty minutes of driving, funky music it was more than anyone could have hoped for--an amazing cap to a fantastic show. Afterwards they came and hung out with everyone--as we all wandered aimlessly, tranced out, grinning--there's nothing like being blown away by a band and then finding out that not only are they amazing musicians, but they're also really good people who love what they do. See them! Help do the world a favour and keep this band on the road. Thanks for listening.

I LOVE ANTIBALAS!!!

see them as often as you can... and dont forget to check out other NinjaTune bands like the Cinematic Orchestra, the Herbaliser, Up, Bustle & Out, and 9 Lazy 9... coming to a show near you (if you're lucky). We're lucky in canada because ninjatune artists have a large fan base here, especially in montreal and toronto... the artists love to visit and play gigs because the response is so great.

Check out the inspiration for antibalas too... Fela Kuti is the father of afrobeat music.

Archived