Jambands.ca

Secret Machines- Lolla 2006 photos and review

Groove Fetish

Well- here’s my first Lolla ’06 review.

Secret Machines.

Afternoon set and late night photos: Secret Machines Photos

I will preface the whole thing by saying after my first listen to their most recent disc I told my friend (who was begging me to attend that set) that I had to attend to the Iron and Wine set and wasn’t really interested in the SM set.

Well needless to say I decided to go check it out- as I wanted to hook up with her and hadn’t run across her yet- so went to look for her (not finding her) and got some of the great afternoon shots.

They also kicked my butt quite a bit- the players were all hot young players- just ripping it up. Far be if from me to comment on the perfection of the playing but I can attest to the energy that was certainly worth witnessing live. They seem to be one of those bands that you see live and realize that there is no way you have captured what the are until you have seen a live experience. Glad I caught a bit. So after looking around for her- trying to get through the crowd pretty far up- I took a bunch off pictures and left for Iron and Wine – which I am so glad I caught as I an in love with that guy- and especially enjoy the closing tune e did, which is not on any of his albums as far as I know, The Trapeze Swinger.

The Secret Machine set made me interested in the late night that our friend had offered to us. She had been guest listed and she was offering us her tickets- I told Peter we should go- she tried to get us tickets as “will buys†for all the crew- to no avail but the two for Peter and I would not go to waste. We decided to go.

Ween was great (yes Gener is on fire these days it would seem since freshening up) but having recently seen them I had to op, after awhile, for going to check out a bit of the hype over The Death Cab for Cutie- which be not hook us-which led us to leave relatively before it was ending. We went back to room and freshened.

Nabbed a cab and with luck our timing was so great we walked up right behind our friend who was trying to figure out who’s names to put her tickets under. Walked into the smallest club ever- possibly 120 people not very much more. Interesting stage set up with an X of lights behind the stage illuminating everything towards the audience- neat effect. Never really seen it used. You can likely see it in the pics pretty good.

These guys self describe as "Psychedelic / Big Beat / Blues"- it is apt. They are a tight little outfit. And it looks like they have a brotherly thing going too:

Brandon Curtis - Vocals, Bass, Keyboards

Benjamin Curtis - Guitars, Vocals

Josh Garza - Drums.

I say worth checking out if they come to your neck of the woods http://www.thesecretmachines.com/

More Lolla to come.

yah that was too funny seeing you as the elevator door opened on Friday morning. That was the one picture I really wish I caught- but it still wouldn't be as good as your ass autograph shot- (POST IT POST IT!!!!)

Scottie thanks for the avatar compliment- that is a pic our friends that sat in the same row as us at Darien- Phil, GRAB, Duo- it may be one of the best concert shots of the two of us. (I know how Narcissistic)

glad that treat made its way to you to have fun with- and sorry not to have been set up to be more generous- next year if we go it would not be the same- but I am a something iis better than nothing kind of a girl.

more Lolla reports later this week.