Jambands.ca

Kemp wants to return tot he NBA. C'mon.

The Chameleon

[color:blue]Break out the coke and watch out in the low post 'cause......................

-------------------------------------

Kemp still wants to return to NBA

Shawn Kemp

Associated Press

11/6/2006 12:42:38 AM

04172002-kemp.jpg

SEATTLE (AP) - Shawn Kemp still isn't ruling out a return to the NBA.

Kemp was honoured on Sunday night as part of the Seattle SuperSonics' 40th anniversary team as voted on by fans of the franchise. Kemp, who played in Seattle from 1989-1997, was one of 16 players selected.

After receiving the loudest ovations during a halftime ceremony, the six-time All-Star said he will be headed to Italy next month to play for a team in Rome, and still wants another shot at playing in the NBA.

"I've still been in contact with a lot of teams. I played ball all summer," Kemp said. "Between you and me, I would love a chance to win a ring."

Kemp hasn't played since 2003 and has received more attention for legal problems. In April 2005, Kemp was arrested for possessing small amounts of cocaine and marijuana in his truck outside Seattle. He was also arrested this past summer in Houston for possessing less than 2 ounces of marijuana.

Kemp was also featured in a story by Sports Illustrated in 1998 detailing athletes with out-of-wedlock children. The article said he reportedly fathered at least seven children by six different women.

As a player, Kemp was noted for his remarkable athleticism for a power forward and his powerful dunks. Kemp averaged 14.6 points and 8.4 rebounds during his 14-year NBA seasons with Seattle, Cleveland, Portland and Orlando, but struggled with his weight at the end of his career.

With the Sonics, Kemp averaged 16.2 points and 9.5 rebounds. In 1996, he helped lead Seattle to its first Western Conference championship since 1979, before losing to Chicago in the NBA finals.

"Don't be surprised if you see me sneak in here and play this season," Kemp said.

Other members of the 40th anniversary team were: Fred Brown, Lenny Wilkens, Spencer Haywood, Slick Watts, Jack Sikma, Detlef Schrempf, Xavier McDaniel, Sam Perkins, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Dennis Johnson, Gary Payton, Nate McMillan, Dale Ellis and Gus Williams.

Only Johnson, Payton and McMillan were not at the ceremony, but each taped a video message.

Edited by Guest

He was also arrested this past summer in Houston for possessing less than 2 ounces of marijuana.

I can see the police video now...

"So, what's this, then."

"It's marijuana."

"Oh, yeah? How much?"

"Two and a half, three ounces, at least."

"Well, I'm gonna check. You know that in this county it's illegal to possess less than two ounces, don't you?"

A few minutes later...

"Well, I weighed it, and it's 1.8 ounces."

"What? No, we bought two and a half ounces, I swear."

"What happened to the rest of it?"

"OK, we smoked a gram, maybe."

"The scale doesn't lie. Next time, make sure you're carrying enough. You have the right to remain silent..."

Aloha,

Brad