Jambands.ca

chavez re-elected

meggo

with 78% of voting stations reporting, chavez had 61% to his opponent Manuel Rosales' 38%.

while i like some things he's done socially [subsidized food, free university education and support for single mothers], i have to say his rhetoric is a little bit much. also making me uneasy is his proposal to amend the constitution, getting rid of presidential term limits. eek.

i like him simply because the US dislikes him, and he seems to be a genuine populist. however, the term limits thing scares me too. of course, if he does turn out to be delivering on his promises and truly taking care of people who need him, and they want to show their approval by handing him his job every 4 years, maybe that's not so bad.

Umm, meggo, what in the world does this have to do with the Liberal leadership convention?

;)

also making me uneasy is his proposal to amend the constitution, getting rid of presidential term limits

Wowza, I hadn't heard about that. Even so, he still comes out a lot less scary than Rosales, from the little I know about Rosales.

“We are going to install these solar energy structures, in the Avenues, in the streets and public places throughout Venezuela, in order to save oil!†Chavez called to boisterous applause. “In order to save fuel and to give an example about how you can use the energy of the sun. What a natural, clean, renewable energy, in order to produce electric energy. This is just one example of things that we are beginning to do.â€

“Do you think that this would have been possible to do in the past when Venezuela was a North American colony?â€

yeah, i agree some of the rhetoric is entertaining. and the stuff about solar energy is great news! i'm just not completely convinced one way or the other about him.

i definitely like to see latin america having a leader who seems to be looking out for the poor, since there are so many of them and they have been almost completely neglected by most of the leaders they've had. there just seem to be some rumblings here and there of authoritarianism... or, maybe that's just me becoming jaded by western media. :)