Vancouver

Sat Feb 1 2003

This was my second time seeing the funky keyboardist with his all-star band:

Robert Walter : Hammond B3, Rhodes, Piano

((Chris Stilwell : Bass'))

Will Bernard : Guitars

Joe Russo : Drums

Cochemea Gastelum : Sax , Flute

This was the first time the Fairview has been used for a big show like this - definately a success - except for the washroom locations - right next to the stage. I had to mosh my way through hordes of boogiers every time.

Chris Stilwell had a last minute family emergency and was unable to be there - so Robert set-up an extra keyboard to his left and played all the bass lines with his left hand. He did a great job - but it's a sad day when a funk band has to go without its bass player. Wil Bernard definately had his funky-pills before the show because he ripped it up every chance he got. The place was PACKED (350+) but not too packed and since we're in Vancouver, there was no cigarette smoke anywhere - amen to that. The Upstream guys were dressed as New Orleans super-heroes and handed out bead-necklaces all night - there were lots of people dressed-up in fine pimp fashion for the occasion as well. The only comment about the music would be that it was funky - not Meters funky - more like Soulive funky - and there wasn't any bass player. I don't think I'll pay $20 again for RW, but the vibes were great and it was an awesome party. Needless to say, I'm viciously hung-over today. [Cool]

the will bernard dude is awesome,....his band is pretty affordable too- he plays in the motherbug and sometimes in a east coast combo they call otherbug- it has squanch from Tpaz and Peter Apfelbaum among others...and there was a pretty full stage when we saw them at Tobacco road this summer after SCI in NYC- awesome energy- I'd highly recommend checking him out - he sits in with folks a lot too so sometimes you can catch him like that- he's been playing for a while with Robert Walter. But he's played with all kinds of folks. YAH funcky will!

We WANT WILL!!!

his own band will be coming around on a tour in april- they said they had availablity in late April for booking - I'd love to see someone book him but I just don't have the contacts...

or rather I guess I haven't really tried yet- but I think he's wicked.

Nice approachable guy too.

Archived