Jambands.ca

iPod Lossless

\/\/illy

ALAC has been around for a few years (2004 I believe). Although, I don't own an iPod so I haven't gotten to deep into it, I have read a fair bit about it over at www.hydrogenaudio.org

A couple things I've learned are: ripping to ALAC is done with iTunes, which from my understanding doesn't give you as secure a rip as EAC > FLAC. And that the compression level is equal to about FLAC 6.5. - I guess its not a huge difference, but for some audiophiles its enough to avoid using it.

I read (I think it was on the Wiki page) that the codecs had been reverse engineered already and it was possible to produce the format outside of iTunes (which I hate too). That being the case, it would be possible to do a EAC rip and then encode to ALAC and play natively on an iPod. I think there would be some demand for this. Throw into that mix the fact that you can now get a 160GB iPod and you're looking at a pretty realistic way of carrying around a substantial collection of music in a lossless format.

Perhaps man, like I said, I haven't looked to deep into it since I have no use for that format (or an iPod) although I tend to put my trust in the folks over at hydrogenaudio.org over wiki. (not saying wiki is wrong on this topic though)

But I guess if you own an iPod and the best lossless you can get for it is ALAC, regardless of its quality compared to FLAC, is a bonus.