Jambands.ca

cbcradio3 / Stephen Malkmus

M

For any Stephen Malkmus fans, there is an article on him in the cbcradio3 weekly online magazine.

http://www.cbcradio3.com

I've been meaning to post about this magazine for while. I believe it showcases the future and amazing potential of online mags. The navigation can seem tricky to decipher at first, but it's rather intuitive once you get the jist. Key to note that the magazine is developed in flash and to click b/w sections, you click on the top RH corner (+ / - ) signs. Within the articles themselves, the subpages are numbered and you click on these numbers to move b/w the subsection. At any time, clicking on the "table of contents" link on the left hand side of the page will take you to an easy to navigate listing of the magazine contents.

There is accompanying audio throughout the site. There are 2 audio players w/in the magazine - the one on that appears in top LH corner showcases select tunes from Canadian artists. These artists are also showcased on sister sites such as newmusiccanada.com and justconcerts.com You'll find tunes by the Weakerthans, Warwsawpack, Broken Social Scene, etc. playing as you peruse the magazine "pages".

When reading an article, the player appearing in the top RH corner plays tracks specific to the topic you are reading up on. For example, the Stephen Malkmus article has approx 5 or so songs that you can listen to, recorded from his last show at Lee's Palace in Toronto on May 2-4 weekend.

Content wise, the music section of the magazine is always excellent with a different music feature every week. Past issues have featured the Sadies, Beck, Frank Black, Herbaliser, the Dears and the Sea and Cake to name a few. Michael Franti and Spearhead will be featured in next week's issue.

The art direction in this magazine is urban hip yet uniquely Canadian. At times it's reminiscent of vice magazine albeit a little less edgy. Although still provocative, I find it to be thought provoking rather than shockingly jolting. Each issue also showcases the themed work of a different photographer whose shots are showcased throughout. The title of each piece will appear in the top RH corner when viewed.

In my opinion, the CBC has been doing an excellent job lately of losing its "old folks" image through its new media endeavours. Kudos to them.

To give you an idea of the content you can expect each week, I have included the site synopsis below taken from a weekly newsletter I get from them when the site is updated. If you're interested, hope you enjoy!

CBC RADIO 3 | ONLINE | V.02 I.02 | September 12 – 18, 2003 |

This week: Fledgling labels, exposing insecurities, proving that anything is possible and picking fruit a half a world away. Plus, Stephen Malkmus and IRS in concert and the work of photographer Stephen Waddell.

POLARMAN | IQALUIT SUPERHERO PROTECTS THE CHILDREN OF THE NORTH

Helping kids fight back against bullies and solving other problems that arise in the playground and on the streets of Iqaluit, Polarman proves that anything is possible.

PARTING SHOTS | THE WAR ON TERROR GETS SOME EXPOSURE

At airports across the country, travelers are being asked to prove their cameras aren’t bombs by taking a picture. Isabelle Devos has started collecting these pictures and calls it the Insecurities Project.

BORN FARMERS | PICKING BERRIES HALF A WORLD AWAY

A lot of Indian Sikhs are born farmers. They work growing fruit, vegetables and cane on farms in the Punjab. When they immigrate to Canada, they find it’s easy to get jobs doing the same thing on the berry farms of BC. It’s something that’s been going on for close to a hundred years.

NO BLING, NO BOOTY | IRS KICKS THE CRAP OUT OF RAP

What started as the alternative to the mainstream has become the most formulaic genre around. Now, strangely enough, hip-hop’s salvation is coming in the form of three guys from the suburbs of Scarborough.

THE NEW CURRENCY | THE LANGUAGE OF STEPHEN MALKMUS

Signalling the rebirth of detached cool, former Pavement front man Stephen Malkmus has returned to the indie rock pantheon to rewrite the verses in his republic of slack.

FREEDOM 25 | CAMOBEAR RECORDS’ BASEMENT EMPIRE

While other record labels situate themselves in tall towers estranged from the world, Camobear Records is running on dreams and just trying to make good music.

PHOTOS | OVERLOOKED CORNERS

Stephen Waddell's photos capture events most of us quickly forget about. Elevating these moments he turns the everyday into art.

For these stories and more, visit http://www.cbcradio3.com

Archived