Jambands.ca

Police review 1969 death of Stones' guitarist Brian Jones

Velvet

Police in Britain have launched a review into the death of guitarist Brian Jones, a founding member of the Rolling Stones, who died in 1969.

BBC News reports that police in Sussex, in southern England, were given new evidence connected to Jones's death.

A spokesman for Sussex police said the force had been handed documents connected with Jones's death but it was too early to open a full investigation.

Although the musician's death in July 1969 had been ruled as death by misadventure, many have speculated that he was murdered.

Jones, 27, was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool at a farmhouse in Hartfield, East Sussex.

Formed The Rollin' Stones in 1962

The guitarist, who was adept at playing other instruments including the recorder, organ, saxophone and oboe, has been credited with coming up with the band's name, which was originally The Rollin' Stones.

In 1962, he placed an ad asking for musicians to form a blues band and attracted several players, including Mick Jagger and his friend, Keith Richards. Eventually, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman joined the band.

Jones, whose contributions to the Rolling Stones ended around 1968, either played or provided backing vocals on many hits including Street Fighting Man, Paint It Black, Under My Thumb, Ruby Tuesday, I Wanna Be Your Man and Money (That's What I Want).

A heavy drug user, Jones became increasingly alienated from the band and released a statement June 9, 1969 saying he had split from the Stones.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2009/08/30/brianjones-death-review.html