Jambands.ca

Rufus Wainwright @ Massey Hall - 2003-12-02

\/\/illy

Massey Hall and House of Blues Canada present

Rufus Wainwright

Tuesday, December 2, 2003, 8:30 p.m., Massey Hall

(Tickets $35.50, $29.50 and $25.50)

Singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright's dramatic piano-driven pop references everything from Bolero to Queen, bossa-nova to blues and incorporates his rich, world-weary voice and seductive melodies.

His recently released Want One, the first of two new eagerly awaited albums takes him in a new direction, his unique voice and compelling lyrics are complemented by beautiful and complex arrangements of horns, orchestra, and vocal harmonies interwoven with a rich musical heritage that really sets Rufus Wainwright apart as an artist and musician.

ON SALE TO THE PUBLIC: 12 noon, Saturday, October 25, 2003

Nice, this will be an excellent show! I saw him play last year at Convocation Hall. Even though he was sauced out of his tree on red wine, his inebriation only detracted from his annunciation of between song banter, and not from his actual musical performance at all.

His sister Martha joined him on stage at the show last year w. his band and her back-up vocals perfectly accentuated his lead.

He is a campy performer... but campy in a really good way. He's over the top at times, but subtle when need be and you can't help but love him. He's the gay friend you'd die to have for all his flair and bluntness.

He is a hysterical guy... his sense of humour rooted in his genes, no doubt. His father, Louden, was a folk singer back in the 60s (who continues to play to this day) who never quite gained the recognition he deserved; this was possibly due to his humurous approach to lyricism which held him apart from the intense "Dylans" of his day. ie) "The Acid song"... a must-hear for anyone who has ever ingested the drug... the song takes you through an acid adventure... from dropping it in a bar, to ending up in a lake at someone's cottage by the end of the trip. "Career moves" another classic Louden song is one of the most beautiful acoustic numbers I've ever heard... detailing the "20 odd years" he's "strummed on guitar". He's also one of the few folks I know of who acknowledges in song the equating of playing guitar and getting laid. Hysterical.

But I digress, back to Rufus. He writes beautiful songs, is a gorgeous piano player and has a stunning and distinctive vocal range. Well worth the price of admission.

[big Grin]

i wont miss this show, i almsot cought him a few years ago in toronto, it may have been last year, but i missed out, and i wont this time around.

if you're into rufus, and are very much entertained by his red-wine drinking, hilarious stage bantering, awesome stage presence and incredible voice and piano ability, check out sarah slean. she is a female version of him.

Agreed... Sarah Slean is a female Rufus. [smile] I saw her play last year at Trinity St. Paul church*** ... she's got a set of pipes on her, that one... man can she sing! She does a piano-stomping, cabaret-reminiscent, incredible "Sweet Ones" live. I consider her a young Edith Piaf when I hear her sing songs like "Book Smart, Street Stupid". So talented. A friend of mine used to book Sarah at Queens when I was there. I'm glad she's done so well for herself.

*** Btw, Trinity St. Paul church is an excellent venue in Toronto for those who haven't been... I'm surprised more shows don't get put on there. Incredible acoustics and awe-inspiring surroundings... thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I got to see Jeff Buckley perform there in '94. Jeff Buckley... performing on an altar... singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"... enough to make a believer out of anyone... [big Grin]

Archived