Jambands.ca

Meet The Decemberists

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Happy Friday!

I put together a quick 8 video playlist for The Decemberists. 

They don't get much attention here, so I thought I would introduce them to folks unfamiliar.

The first thing that sets them apart for me is the tremendous story telling in the songs. I find very few bands can write such vivid lyrics as the Decemberists. The stories vary from maritime shantys to personal war time accounts through the eyes of soldiers and widows, and various other literary topics. They clearly are very well read, and that comes out in their lyrics.

Musically they are unique and catchy, and draw from a whole spectrum of influences to ensure a variety of melodies. Nothing particularly overly challenging in the composition of the songs, but the overall layering of instruments and song construction is incredible. Instrumentation includes the usual acoustic guitar, bass, drums, but also a fiddle, accordion, and various percussions. The songs' lengths vary, lasts as long as the story that needs to be told, and never overextends its welcome.

I'm currently working my way through their seven studio albums to create a favourites list for my iPod.

A new album was just announced today!

Enjoy! 

http://youtu.be/0vdWBFybOco?list=PLTVcWk1HVHHZv6Qtfg9mSgDN0-WEGbUqn