Jambands.ca

GTB 2004-02-25 Available For Download

Guest Low Roller

Some of it (like the sound) I like. Some of it (like the weight) I don't. Also, because I'm using three mics, I need more than a typical two-mic preamp; the Behringer is nice (and pretty cheap), but it's not battery powered, and its metering is pretty limited. (For example, the master stereo meters don't have that fine a granularity, and the individual channels have nothing except a "peak/clip" light, so trying to balance the levels between channels is nigh on impossible.) The mixer also doesn't have EQ on anything except the two individual mic/XLR ins. Add to that the chain of adaptors I have to go through for the stealth mics (1/8" stereo jack -> 1/4" stereo plug, into a 1/4" stereo jack -> 2xRCA plug, into 2x[RCA jack -> 1/4" mono plug], into the two channels on the mixer) and it sometimes seems miraculous that I get any sound out of it all.

I'm also getting used to it. I've used it three times now (JSB at Dekcuf on 2004.02.06, which I haven't transferred yet; GTB at Maverick's; Dr. Huxtable / nero / TMNS at Maverick's on 2004.02.28, some of which I've transferred), so still need to find out the limitations. (For example, I've noticed the peak/clip LED on the Cascade's channel coming on, but haven't noticed any degredation in the sound.)

For now, I'm happy with it. (Well, happy enough to not be rushing out to re-rig it all.)

Aloha,

Brad

The Grand Theft Bus show from February 25, 2004 at Maverick's in Ottawa is now available for download. (Note that you need to be a JamHub member [free registration] to access the downloads.)

The recording was done by me and dave-O (my mics and gear, dave-O's MD recorder) live off the floor, using a combination of a single Cascade M-20 (dead center in the mix, providing most of the signal) and a pair of stealth mics hard left and right providing some of the signal and some stereo imaging. The mics went into a Behringer UB1002 mixer, then into the MD. The mics were positioned about 6'-7' off the floor, about 15' in front of the stage (reasonably dead center).

The only big flaw was an MD change that had to happen in the middle of the encore; as a result, the encore is split into the last two tracks (labelled "Tanktop (Pt. 1)" and "Tanktop (Pt. 2)"). I knew some, but not all, of the names of the songs; corrections and additions would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Aloha,

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Archived