Jambands.ca

Stairwell K ..... so funky

doubleB

Thanks to everyone who came out last night.

Both bands playes great sets.

Stairwell K is a sure fire hit.... What a great band we have had right under our nose all this time.

Starwell K will open the March 23, 2002 Homestyle show giving all you who missed them another chance.

My personal highlights were a sweet Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity cover and an origional with lyrics something like......

"I will cook you breakfast lunch and dinner

If you blow me I'll roll you a pinner"

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... sorry for destroying your lyrics as that is probably not a direct quote.... too funny. I think the term 420 was used in most of their lyrics.... great band... make sure to check them out with Homestyle on March 23

its unfair to say that no one knew about stairwell K because I sure did, and I thought they sucked when I saw them. It was probably over a year ago so I hope they've gotten better, but I just couldn't bring myself to go last night (i.e. invest the time or effort). Maybe I'll try to get there early enough to see them with homestyle, but I won't make any promises.

i feel your pain treyter. These guys weren't at all on the psychedelic tip, but all the same they had an interesting groove and could lay it down thick. Every member of the band has some skillz but they could obviously have taken a few jams into some far crazier places then they did. Plus, while the jams may not have come to a crazy head, they were laying some slick licks throughout the funk. just my thoughts.

last night was pretty groovy. Stairwell K is a great band. I can't beleive that this band is from Ottawa and no one in the jambased community knew about them!!! The lead singer has a great voice, a little cheese but nothing over the top. He sounds a lot like Jay Kay from Jamiroqua without biting his style too hard. The funk was laid down thick and of course the Cafe Dekcuf is such a sweet spot to see a show. Thanks Double B for introducing us to yet another great band. Stairwell K, Jambolaya, Beau Dixon's band (i forget their name)...keep'em coming!!!

...everytime these guys seemed to start getting into the pocket they would dump the song. cut it short. it really started bugging me. i spoke with harpua about it, and i agreed with him (optimistically) in thinking that maybe these guys don't listen to jam music and don't know about the scene, and that we actually like long songs with adventurous jams??? but they did say 420 alot, so maybe they have listened to the dead or phish, and just don't like to jam out for long periods of time? that would be too bad IMO, because these guys have their shit down pretty good, and could get out there if they tried...

lots of potential, but need to let go a bit.

my 2 cents.