Jambands.ca

Bye Bye Burtie (a Guelph story)

scottieking

Hey Folks,

I thought I'd start a new thread for my report. It'll be brief as I'm still pulling it together from last night (revenge of the greasy breakfast)

This isn't so much a show review as a final commentary, so if you will ,bear with me.

Pre-show was pre-show but with a twist. This was many people's last Burt show. The bar was packed by showtime. So many old faces,and when I say old faces, not just the ones that I knew personally, but the band and the clan of people I've seen at so many shows before. One last time seemed to be the mantra. My friend, Katie P said alot of the old Lakehead gang was there. On the car ride down, we'd listened to May 24 Frontiertown, and all I wanted was a Bellbottoms. Check the setlist for how that worked out for me (thank-you Frescolopez, I trust the show will be making an appearance on the canjam hub??)

The boys were on fire. Everyone was given space to roam around in the jams (although those on the dance floor weren't lucky enough to have that option) There was definitely an emotion on stage and in the crowd. Before we knew it, we were at the end of the second set. I have to admit I gave a few strangers a hug in support. It had been one of the best shows I've seen them play in 4 years . It had to be one of the most bittersweet moments; they played so well, they're all so talented and, possibly, this was it.

Thanks go out to all who put us up last night, old friends for showing up, Santuarians Tungstun, Beats, and for the first time, Backbacon (who needs nametags, eh?) but most of all to Jeff, Gavin, Jeremy and Mike,(+ all the Burts who came before them) all of whom were kind enough over the years to have at least one conversation with me and , on top of it all, put on some of the best shows with what has become some of my favorite music in the world.

If you can, go out and see the Burt Neilson Band one more time. I have no doubt bigger and better things lie ahead, but some magic happens only once in a lifetime.

scottieking

A truly specail night. It too was to be my last burt show until the reunion tour. This being the case, I had plans of leaving nothing on the dance floor. The comradery in the packed room could be cut with a knife.

I hadn't heard a Waves or Stop 28 in three shows so those two songs were welcomed selections. THe first set was very solid.

The second set was very jam heavy which always sits good with me. Every single note was fully appreciated.

The encore was fine. I've come to not expect too much from an encore. It's a bonus song. I was really hoping they would totally whack me with a killer 'Frankenstein' but really, they could have played 'Row Row Row Your Boat' and that would have been just fine.

It was so good to meet up with all the awesome people I do at these parties. You all make every show a special one. scottieking, nice to meet you. Good thing you resemble your avatar so closely; I would have never recognized you! hehe.

Thanks go to the boys of Paisley street who allowed their house to be turned upside down. The sun seemed to come up at about 3.30 am. Where did the night go? The hour drive back to London in the morning felt like it took 9. ugh.

Coincidently, the show I was listening to in London before we departed was the May 2-4 Ghost Town Burt show.

Bye Bye Burties!

smile.gif" border="0