Jambands.ca

Ottawa Musicians

TomFoolery

Hey Folks,

I’m fairly new to this board. I’ve made a couple of posts but haven’t generally had a lot to say. I do enjoy the vibe on this site quite a bit, though – sounds like some really stellar folk. Now I’ve got a question for the Ottawa contingent…

I’m assuming that a lot of you play music as well as appreciate it. I’ve been trying to assemble a few people to get a regular jam going. I think it’ll be pretty cool if it comes together and who knows where it could go. The line up would roughly be: drums, (hand) percussion, bass, guitar, keys, flute/clarinet, free-form (female) vocals, and maybe some trumpet (the keys player is multi talented). What I have in mind is some goa/funk/acid-jazz influenced jamming.

I’ve got most of the people lined up but there are a couple of problem points. The flute/clarinet player lives out of town so jam frequency may be limited. The guitar player may be flaking out. The drummer has no regular kit (I’ve got a loaner lined up in the mean time) and we could use another percussionist. Not much can be done about the distance for the flute/clarinet player, so I think we’ll just let that fly unless it really becomes a problem.

Do any of you guys play, or know guitar players or drummers who may be interested in this sort of project?

The only caveat is that this is a bit of an experiment. I’ve only really jammed with two of the people involved so it may go somewhere – it may not…

If you're interested or have any ideas I'd like to hear them. If anyone wants a serious chat about the details, pm me through this site.

Even if nothing comes of it, thanks for reading

I play guitar, and would love to be part of something like this. Through most of 2003, I spent Tuesday nights at Cafe Dekcuf, taking part in their "Jammer Tuesdaze" open jams, and loved it. As a player, I think I lean towards trancy/jammy/funky/patterned stuff. I have gear, but no transport, though I do have an empty basement which can serve as a jam space.

Aloha,

Brad